New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Processor temperature

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

I looked on Apple's website but could not find a link. My Macbook, 2.26 GHz Core2Duo: do you know the normal temperature range for the processor? Thanks.

It is not normal for a computer to constantly crash, freeze, and become infected by thousands of malicious programs. Microsoft has just convinced you that this is all normal.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

From Intel's page for the Core 2 Duo: 60.1ºC
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

Yikes...mine gets up to 98C when under heavy load!!

It is not normal for a computer to constantly crash, freeze, and become infected by thousands of malicious programs. Microsoft has just convinced you that this is all normal.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Ive been up that high before. Your Mac has a failsafe though, when it gets too hot it will shut itself down.
But if your a lil paranoid dl smcFanControl

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

Oh cool thanks...I have Temperature Monitor and am assuming it is pretty accurate...when I do distributed computing and iMovie video recording all night, I wake up and look at it sometimes at it is really high up there...thanks for link

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Jamie View Post
From Intel's page for the Core 2 Duo: 60.1C
Thanks for that info. My wife has had me looking for that info since last summer. She was concerned that the temps were getting a bit high while playing WoW. It never dawned on me to go to Intel's site.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Jamie View Post
From Intel's page for the Core 2 Duo: 60.1ºC
Actually, the TCase temp according to intel for the P7550 (which is what sounds like is what's in his system looking over different Mac models) is 90c according to Intels site here: Intel® Core?2 Duo Processor P7550 (3M Cache, 2.26 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) with SPEC Code(s) SLGF8 - of course if he has a different make/model this link is inaccurate - the only reason I'm not sure is the OPs left mentions a 2.6GHz machine yet he refers to a 2.26GHz machine in his post. Also, if you look at this overall chart - it shows a little bit of a higher max temp (although I'd go with Intels stated max unless this higher number was replaced with the lower 90c)

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.a...tno=347&pgno=6

mobile processors tend to support running at higher temps then desktop CPUs

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« spybot - search & destroy for mac? | Cheap iPhone dev mac in the UK? »