New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

start up sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dave.s

dave.s is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 21" 1tb

Is it possible to turn off the start up sound? my external speakers are always turned to minimum but the sound is always the same volume on start up, would like to turn it off, any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Arcana Research - StartupSound.prefPane

'Download' at the left sidebar
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Mac Help - Mute, Disable or Quiet the Mac Startup Sound/Bong/Chime/Tone

Beat me haha
QUOTE Thanks
dave.s

thanks quin, sorted
QUOTE Thanks
T_O_P12

T_O_P12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S

what type of mac do you have?
Mine starts up with the volume I leave it at when it is shut down without any third party applications
QUOTE Thanks
dave.s

imac 21" 4gb 1067 mhz ram
QUOTE Thanks
quin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.s View Post
thanks quin, sorted
You're welcome. I was curious myself and did a Google
QUOTE Thanks
quin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
Sometimes, a rookie gets lucky and beat out an old vet with help from Google
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You do know that "startup sound" has a purpose, right?

QUOTE Thanks
quin

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
You do know that "startup sound" has a purpose, right?
No, I've only been using the Mac for 3 months. Please give us the heads up. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The startup chime you hear is the machine telling you that it has passed it's initial boot-up hardware checks and that all is well. If you start it and don't hear that sound, it means you have a hardware issue. Windows boxes often beep at you, but a Mac gives you a chime instead.

Turning it off removes your ability to tell if you Mac has any hardware issues upon boot up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chime_(Macintosh)

QUOTE Thanks
salmar

salmar is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram

I agree with baggss on this issue.

20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Lake Geneva, Fl
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I also agree that the POST chime should be left on, however, with the Arcana preference pane you can easily turn the sound down to a lower level without eliminating it altogether.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Of course, if you're like a whole bunch of us out here, that chime doesn't do a lot of good anyway because we never shut our machines down except for new updates that require it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Of course, if you're like a whole bunch of us out here, that chime doesn't do a lot of good anyway because we never shut our machines down except for new updates that require it.
Now that I can agree with.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Big Decisions | How Do I Delete Mac Mail Emails Entirely? »