New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Initial Report

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HBlaine

HBlaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz

Wow. I'm impressed.

It's been an interesting time. I got the "new" PowerBook G4, and installed the upgraded memory. Alas, found out that the system has a defective slot, so I could only take it up to a gig. So, I've arranged for an exchange. The new system ought to meet up with me at home this coming Friday, and I'll be sending this particular computer back next week.

However, until then, I've been playing with the current system. I downloaded/installed NeoOffice for the heavy-lifting stuff, and Bean for the quickie drafts and notes. Done a little bit of writing with the system. Done the email and web-browsing. It's been my constant companion for a week now, and will be with me through part of the coming week.

I am impressed. The transition over has been marvelous. And the system just plain-out performs. "Only" a gig of memory has been more than enough to deal with anything I've thrown at it. It's fast, light on it's feet. And solid.

I like this. Granted, I'm not going to be throwing my Win computer out any time soon. It is still my business/work machine, but for personal stuff... I really think I should've tried this sooner! ;-)

I am impressed!

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

I absolutely love old PowerPC Macs. They have so much life left in them, really. But then, I can never stand to get rid of something that works!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

G4s over a 1Ghz and G5s of any speed still make very strong personal computers. Heck, for a lot of non-nerds an iPad is more computer than they actually need!

Glad you are enjoying your machine!
QUOTE Thanks
HBlaine

I'm to the point of hating to return this machine, because it means I'll be without till I get home and get the replacement.

To be honest, I'm not trashing my Win7 machine. I like it too, and have a good working relationship with it. (I know, I'll dodge the tomatoes on that one...) But...

Well, you know...

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
QUOTE Thanks
HBlaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Jamie View Post
I absolutely love old PowerPC Macs. They have so much life left in them, really. But then, I can never stand to get rid of something that works!
I have been exceptionally impressed with what I've been reading on the appreciation/usage of "older" Macs. While doing research, I stumbled across a quickie article entitled Every Working Computer Is Useful to Someone, and that really got me to thinking. Our fascination with the "latest and mostest" gets a bit wearing after a while. I certainly don't feel any need to "keep up with the Joneses..." And, given what I've seen with my "new" little Mac...

~ Confucius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 19 Days with a Macbook Pro | Testimony to my Macbook »