New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Customizing the Dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LovelyLici

LovelyLici is on a distinguished road

Hi all!

I'm new to the Mac Forums and new to the world of Mac. I got my MacBook (mid-2009, white) 2 days ago, and I'm still trying to figure things out.

One thing I'd like to do is customize the dock. I'd like to get rid of that mirror underneath the icons, or change the colour of it. I read somewhere that the colour could be changed, but can't seem to find it now. I downloaded CandyBar (the free trial) and I have not been able to figure out how to use it. I ended up a bit frustrated and ready to delete the application by the end of the night last night, but I don't know how to properly delete apps either. Lol. So I still have CandyBar and the same ol' dock with the white-ish mirror beneath it. Anyone know how to change it?
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

Without third-party apps, you're stuck with that glass Dock unless you want to use the terminal. It's not that bad, though! Try this, and don't worry, if you type something wrong, it won't break anything...

That said, don't go trying random stuff at the Terminal!

Open Terminal in Applications > Utilities

Once it's open, type this at the prompt:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

Press Return, then type:
killall Dock

Press Return. The Dock will slide out of sight, then pop back up as a smoke-gray rectangle. To reverse the effect, put this into Terminal:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

Then once more:
killall Dock

That will return the Dock to its factory setting. I don't have any experience with CandyBar or anything like that. I sometimes feel odd that I like the glass Dock!
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Hey there LovelyLici. Welcome to Mac-Forums, and congrats on the new Mac.

You mentioned two things here: not knowing how to delete apps and customizing the Dock. Let's tackle the first one.

To delete an app in OS X, simply delete it from the applications folder (i.e. drag it to the trash or select it and press ⌘-Delete). In most cases, including CandyBar's, that's all you need to do!

Now, for customizing the Dock, CandyBar is a very useful program. To use it though, you've got to download some new icons/docks to use. A good free source of them is Iconfactory : Home.

Also, you can remove the 3D effect in the Dock completely, making it 2D, by entering the following command into the Terminal:

$ defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

I have candybar and somewhat regretted it. To get your dock and it's icons back to original they have a "thing in the upper right hand corner to click to restore your original setting.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
MacJenny

MacJenny is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,

I use Dockulicious.

Dockulicious - Browse and submit your own Leopard docks!

15" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro, 32gb White iPhone 3GS, 160gb iPod
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Wow. You might want to get used to the Mac for awhile before you start tweaking it. There's no end to the threads here wherein people are trying to recover from such adventures.
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Wow. You might want to get used to the Mac for awhile before you start tweaking it. There's no end to the threads here wherein people are trying to recover from such adventures.
I wouldn't be too alarmist on this count. Theming with CandyBar is non-damaging, as anything done with it can be undone. I own a license for it, and have played with it countless times, to no ill effect.

However, it is good advice to be careful with the Terminal. Don't type random things into it unless you know what you're doing.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJenny View Post
I tried using that and it does not work for me. I drag the downloaded dock (.zip file) to the app and nada.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

dock library

I've been using it for quite some time now.

There's also a much easier way to go back to a 2D dock, as well as kill two birds with one stone. Download Onyx. It is an maintenance tool for OS X which also allows some minor tweaks to the GUI as well as some Finder stuff. It's a recommended tool by many people on this forum and I've been using it for 2 years. I run it about once a month or less just to clean things up a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2010-03-01 at 2.50.39 AM.jpg (123.6 KB, 19 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Dragonhunter

Dragonhunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4

I've used LeopardDock to change my dock around a bit.

Dragonhunter
QUOTE Thanks
LovelyLici

LovelyLici is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try my hand at this when I'm a bit more alert and more likely to follow instructions properly. Hahaha.

toMACsh - Don't worry. I have every intention of keeping things as they are as much as possible in order to learn and be able to easily search for answers to my questions. There are just a few things that need to be to my liking like the desktop and screensaver. The dock thing is actually bothering me to the point that I need to move that mirror. What bothers me most is that it reflects text and images from open windows. GRRR. Lol.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyLici View Post
toMACsh - Don't worry. I have every intention of keeping things as they are as much as possible in order to learn and be able to easily search for answers to my questions.
That's a good strategy. Good luck to you!
QUOTE Thanks
trump425

trump425 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 5.1 (2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 running Mac OS X 10.6.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I had a rather fun adventure right after I got my Mac. I decided that it would be a good idea to log in as root and rename my main account's applications folder among other silly things. Needless to say this was a TERRIBLE idea and took me around 4 hours to fix.

Cheers.

"The Vulcan Neck Pinch is not half as powerful as the Vulcan Groin Kick, but it's more politically correct."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Testimony to my Macbook | New Imac worries »