New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

am i hosed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

i bought a mac book pro on ebay with applecare with a 7200rpm hdd it was supposed to be nib on the box it came in it says 5400rpm and in the system preferences it says its a 7200 rpm drive so does this mean this guy changed the drive if so does this mean my apple care is void. i am really bummed about this and i am kinda ******. i just found out tonight and my time to send the laptop back is over by a few days.. and what if this guy put in some crappy drive.. man am i mad..

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

No, changing the HDD or RAM doesn't void the warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

this guy who sold me this should have really told me he was doing this though. the only reason i even noticed is because i was looking for the cloth that was supposed to be in the box and it isnt there. what a jerk man..

QUOTE Thanks
quin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
this guy who sold me this should have really told me he was doing this though. the only reason i even noticed is because i was looking for the cloth that was supposed to be in the box and it isnt there. what a jerk man..
I think the 7200 rpm might be an original drive that came with the 17'. The 500GB 7200 rpm is an optional drive he might have selected when he 'build' for purchase from Apple.

Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

yeah but on the specs on the box it says 5400

QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

this is what drive it is i found the model number in profiler

QUOTE Thanks
quin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

this is what drive it is i found the model number in profiler
The original 160GB drive that was in my MBP13 was a Seagate also

The dude is probably ball'n with tears right now cause he had sold his 17" baby =)
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I can completely understand your frustration if you were sold something different from what was advertised. However, if you like the machine and the price you paid, then this might not be a dealbreaker. In the event you decide that dealing with the original seller is going to be a hassle...

I just bought a new 500gb 7200rpm drive at CompUSA for $75 after rebate. (They are selling for more than that on ebay.) A used 500gb 5400rpm drive would probably sell for $60 on ebay. For a $20 loss, you could have a brand new drive like the one you wanted and move on...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...442&CatId=2682

EDIT: Just realized, today is the last day of the sale...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I'm not clear on what the problem is ... either the original owner got a "silent upgrade," or he replaced the original 5400RPM drive with a faster (and perhaps larger) 7200RPM drive ... I may be missing something here but seems to me you got the right end of the bargain ...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I'm not clear on what the problem is ... either the original owner got a "silent upgrade," or he replaced the original 5400RPM drive with a faster (and perhaps larger) 7200RPM drive ... I may be missing something here but seems to me you got the right end of the bargain ...
Sorry, don't see the dilemma here either. You got a free upgrade. My upgrade to a 7200 from a 5400 RPM drive almost halved the boot time and practically every app on my machine launches at least 1/3 faster.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

It reads to me that:

1) The auction claimed a New In Box Mac w/ 7200rpm drive

2) The item that arrived contained said 7200rpm drive, but the actual computer box itself had specs printed on it that stated the computer came with a 5400 rpm drive.

3) The screen cleaning cloth was missing.

So it seems that the OP is concerned that the laptop was really not New In Box because it appears that the hard drive, although specified as a 7200 in the auction (and what is in the system) was not the original drive from the manufacturer implying that the system is not really "new in box".

To the OP: There are several of possibilities.

It's possible he bought it at a store, bought a hard drive upgrade which was installed at the store, then later decided he didn't want it (as an example, I have a Mac Mini that I bought new, it came with 2 gig RAM, I had it upgraded at the store to 4 Gig (I didn't want to crack the case as getting into a mini is a pain) - technically since it was upgraded by the store one could argue it's still NIB since I hadn't opened it yet, but really since the box was opened, it's probably best to consider it LNIB).

It's possible he bought it, bought a bigger/better hard drive and installed it himself (really not a difficult task on current gen Macbook/Macbook Pro (not like a powerbook where you had to dig into it to get to the hard drive))

Either way, there aren't too many 500 GB 7200rpm laptop drives on the market, and from what it sounds, you got a seagate drive, which is - from reviews - a good drive.

You can always ask the seller why there was a discrepancy between what is printed on the box vs what was in the box - but it's not like there was something better that was made lesser, it was something lesser that was made better. At best case scenario - you're overreacting to a situation that isn't a problem. At worst case, the seller has a different interpretation of NIB then most people and should have listed it as LNIB (Like New In Box). Not knowing what you paid for it, I can only assume, either way, you probably got a decent deal otherwise you probably wouldn't have placed a bid on it?

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
cameraman

cameraman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam

I wouldn't get too mad and I'll tell you why. I bought a 13" unibody at an apple store in early 09' and on the box it said "5400rpm 250g hd" and what I found was, it had a "320g 7200rpm hd" installed. I think what happens in manufacturing is they run out of the drives they use the most of and instead of holding up the line which would cost more money than the difference in price of the drive upgrade. So it may be "factory virgin install"
QUOTE Thanks
quin

The OP is concerned that with a different drive than the one labeled on the box that it would 'void' the all import AppleCare warranty. Should something happen along the way. Even though it's an upgrade from a 5400rpm to a 7200rpm drive.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Yea, but as stated already... it doesn't void AppleCare. It's a free upgrade. Does the machine work? Does it feel really fun to use? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then quit your crying. I realize your concern, but we have laid that to rest since the warranty is still in tact.

If you're worried that this guy may have been lying to you, why don't you call Apple and see if there is still Apple Care for your serial number?
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

i have called apple and i do have applecare on the unit. however i bout a system with full applecare warranty and now i have a system with applecare warranty that excludes the hdd. am i wrong in assuming this?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Golfers? | OSX Mail Question »