New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Safari Not Playing YouTube Videos

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cameronbrown13

cameronbrown13 is on a distinguished road

I have been using safari for as long as i've had a mac and have never encountered any issues until now. When i log onto YouTube and try to watch a video, it says that I need the latest flash player or that I have Java turned off. I have installed Adobe Flash Player six times and have checked to make sure that Java and Java scripts are turned on. Help?
QUOTE Thanks
stans34

stans34 is on a distinguished road

Check your configurations, any firewalls or antivirus that might be causing this issue, or another program
QUOTE Thanks
Vyper007

Vyper007 is on a distinguished road

As a test, does YouTube work through say Firefox ?.
QUOTE Thanks
jpepperman95

jpepperman95 is on a distinguished road

delete -> [username]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

this will reset your settings like home page but not your bookmarks, cookies or saved passwords.
QUOTE Thanks
shervieux

shervieux is on a distinguished road

On mine. Firefox works, but safari does not. Does not tell me I need flashplayer; it just gives me a black box where the video should be and does nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
MTLREP1

MTLREP1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shervieux View Post
On mine. Firefox works, but safari does not. Does not tell me I need flashplayer; it just gives me a black box where the video should be and does nothing.
I have the exact same problem..would really appreciate a response.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you go here, what does the page tell you about your Flash install?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
USMCGRUNT

USMCGRUNT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, OS X 10.6.6, Snow Leopard

There are a couple threads on this. We have been back and forth about what it could be. After 2 visits to the genius bar, 1st solution: add the click to flash extension through Safari (I didn't like that), the 2nd most recent solution (as of today at the genius bar) is to turn back to 32 bit from 64 bit. Apparently Youtube and a few others will be updating their entire system to 64 in the near future. For now, leave it on 32 and it will not affect anything.

I was in the same boat. It was working fine then all of a sudden it stopped. I switched my safari back to 32 bit and no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
shervieux

shervieux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLREP1 View Post
I have the exact same problem..would really appreciate a response.
Hi MTLREP1. Someone suggested above to delete the safari.plist file. However, I found it did not exist on my computer. Other people suggested this, and that seemed to work for them:

applications -safari-more info- click to: open in a 32-bit mode.

What worked for me:

To delete Safari's icon cache using the Finder, open your user folder, navigate to ~/Library/Safari/ and move this file "webpageIcons.db to the Trash

If you google around - you will see that this is a problem that started with safari in the beginning of February. Even a google employee noted it. The good news. Google is trying to find a permanate fix for safari users. The bad news - all they came up with so far are temporary work-around solutions. It appears it may be related to the switch from flash to HTML5.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I bet if you did a search, you'd find a really good, recent thread that has the fix for all this....

Just saying...

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
martijnpolman

martijnpolman is on a distinguished road

I had the exact same issue.

I was able to resolve it in 2 manners: either change the user agent in Safari to something other then default - I used Safari 5 Windows - or as mentioned earlier run Safari in 32 bit mode. It seems to be an issue on Google's side, hope they fix this soon.

edit:
Actually it seems to be an issue with Adobe:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/793304?tstart=-1

Google is trying to use Adobe's new API for Stage Video, this seems to causing issues with some 64 bit Safari installations on older Macbooks. GMA 945 and GMA X3100 especially.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

YouTube works on my Imac, but the iPad won't play them most of the time. It says to update the flash player, but when I try to do that, it says the update won't work on my device. That's pretty sad because I like You Tube, my kids post videos of my grand kids there.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Macs should not have any problem playing flash videos, but iPads did not originally support flash and will probably have problems with YouTube unless you're watching a video in HTML5.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

Apple needs to step up to the plate with the iPad. People paying $500.00 to $1000.00 for an iPad are going to want to watch videos on it I would think.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Who's paying $1000 for an iPad?

And I have absolutely no problem watching videos on my iPad, I do it all the time.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need File Manager like Directory Opus; also Backing up to External Drive question | Google Chrome causes slow sleep MacBook Pro (Mountain Lion O/S) »