Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   That was Easy (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/192284-easy.html)

TechieJustin 02-23-2010 02:50 PM

That was Easy

2 Attachment(s)
I opened up my late 2008 15.4 MBP to see what configuration of RAM I had. I am going to upgrade to 4GB from the factory two. It took about five minutes to open the thing up.

Are the 2009's the same? I have a new one waiting for my mom to get back from... um... I forget where she is. Somewhere in Europe. Maybe I'll open it up just to see what it looks like inside.

chscag 02-23-2010 03:19 PM

The latest MBP 15" models already have 4 Gb of memory installed. No need to open it up and look to see what's inside. You know that old story about what curiosity did to the cat? ;D

Regards.

TechieJustin 02-23-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1006041)
The latest MBP 15" models already have 4 Gb of memory installed. No need to open it up and look to see what's inside. You know that old story about what curiosity did to the cat? ;D

Regards.

Its hard to resist. I know the new ones have 4GB, but I have a 2008. I won't remove the RAM like I did mine, but I would like to see if this new irreplaceable battery is truly irreplaceable.
If I do open it (what mom doesn't know won't hurt her) I'll post pics and maybe a video.

chas_m 02-23-2010 10:10 PM

Uh, your last post sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

First of all, you'll be voiding her warranty. She may not like that.

Second, let me save you some time -- YES, the irreplaceable battery is irreplaceable.

I really would leave other people's property alone if I were you.

bobtomay 02-23-2010 10:14 PM

And you would feel exactly how?... if one of your friends took apart your $2,000 piece of electronics because they just wanted to see... and something happened... or nothing happens until 6 months later when you take it to the manufacturer for repair and they tell you it'll cost $800 to fix because your warranty is void. I'd venture to say, you'd not be too happy.

cwa107 02-23-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1006306)
Uh, your last post sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

First of all, you'll be voiding her warranty. She may not like that.

Second, let me save you some time -- YES, the irreplaceable battery is irreplaceable.

I really would leave other people's property alone if I were you.

Not that I disagree with you insomuch that the machine shouldn't be opened unless the OP has his mother's permission, but I do believe the cover can be removed without voiding the warranty. Apple actually provides instructions for the procedure as part of their memory upgrade documentation (which is considered user-serviceable).

TechieJustin 02-23-2010 10:50 PM

Did I forget to mention I bought the laptop for her?

and its not like I don't have experience opening laptops. I have 12 years of IT experience; I've been fixing laptops since I lost my job in September. I buy them off Craigslist, fix them and sell them on eBay. It isn't much but its enough to cover certain expenses.