New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Installing more RAM for a Powerbook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rattamahatta

rattamahatta is on a distinguished road

Hi, I've had a Powerbook for a few months now and have been quickly filling it with music and ebooks and all that, so now only have about 3 GB left free out of the 56 GB I started with.

So, since the memory on this is 512 MB, I was thinking of getting another half a GB of RAM and installing that, as the Powerbook's started running pretty slowly sometimes.

I'm kind of a Philistine when it comes to computers, so explain to me slowly whether or not installing the extra RAM would mean I had more usable space for MP3s, Logic etc. And if not, what I should do instead.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No, adding more RAM will not give you more space on your hard drive.

3GB free space on your hard drive is well into the "danger zone" of trouble. Mac OS X needs a fair amount of temporary space to work with, I would recommend leaving no less than 6GB available at all times (10GB would be better).

What you need is both more RAM (512MB is just not a serious amount these days, go ahead and max it out, its cheap) and a larger internal hard drive (or more of your stuff offloaded to an external). Having more RAM will make for a faster and smoother overall experience, particularly when doing things like playing games, using the internet or working with graphics or video.

The good news is that both RAM and HDs for are super-cheap these days. I would suggest getting at least 1GB additional RAM, and at least a 250GB drive (you'll be hard pressed to find anything smaller these days anyway!). Installing the drive may need to be done by a tech depending on exactly what model you have, I recall the PB G4s as a right pain to swap out the hard drives on.
QUOTE Thanks
rattamahatta

rattamahatta is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the answer, Chas. I'll do that.

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

I just picked up a new Seagate 160 GB drive for my Powerbook G4 for $90, though there are bigger Western Digital drives. Seagates seem to perform better so I prefer the smaller better performing drive. Remember that you are looking for an ATA drive not a SATA drive.

As for memory, sounds like you are in stock config so that means you have 2 256MB chips. I ran a 1GB and a stock 256GB for years in my Powerbook with great results.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Is it one of those 12" PowerBook G4s? Those are awesome!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« That was Easy | Changing from Quicktime to VLC »