New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Purchase


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Balders

 
Member Since: Feb 22, 2010
Posts: 4
Balders is on a distinguished road

Balders is offline
I am going to the USA soon for a few days and I would like to buy my fist Mac, a Macbook Pro. I know what I want as a specification and wanted to contact the store to see if they would have one in stock. Has anyone had any experience buying from an Apple Retail Store?

It is a shame that I cannot contact them by mail. On the Apple website it only gives their telephone number. I wonder why that is?
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

 
Member Since: Mar 31, 2008
Posts: 385
PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

PsYkOoOoO is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balders View Post
I am going to the USA soon for a few days and I would like to buy my fist Mac, a Macbook Pro. I know what I want as a specification and wanted to contact the store to see if they would have one in stock. Has anyone had any experience buying from an Apple Retail Store?

It is a shame that I cannot contact them by mail. On the Apple website it only gives their telephone number. I wonder why that is?
Erm, well which country are you from? Are there any Apple Stores or Authorized Resellers in your own country? If there are then there isn't a point buying your Mac there, now is there? You could just drop by one of your own local stores to get one or to buy it online and have it shipped to your home, right?

I wouldn't recommend you to buy a Macbook Pro overseas, though. Through my own experiences, I brought my Macbook to the States for my studies last year, and the difference in voltage really killed my battery. Macbook Pros manufactured for this country has batteries specifically built for the voltage of that country. At least that is what I found out from a Genius when I visited a store once. He told me that it isn't recommended for me to buy a battery from the States if I bought my Macbook from my country.

So, there you go.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

 
toMACsh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 30, 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,515
toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

toMACsh is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balders View Post
Has anyone had any experience buying from an Apple Retail Store?
Well, yes, but I don't buy new Macs that often. We've purchased two from an Apple Store, one from Best Buy, and one from a mail order catalog. I haven't known the Apple Store to be out of stock on anything, but I suspect it happens once in awhile.
QUOTE Thanks
Balders

 
Member Since: Feb 22, 2010
Posts: 4
Balders is on a distinguished road

Balders is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
Erm, well which country are you from? Are there any Apple Stores or Authorized Resellers in your own country? If there are then there isn't a point buying your Mac there, now is there? You could just drop by one of your own local stores to get one or to buy it online and have it shipped to your home, right?
I live in France but want a UK/US keyboard (that they can do) but want the OS in English as well as iWork. This is the reason for buying outside of France.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

 
Member Since: Mar 31, 2008
Posts: 385
PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

PsYkOoOoO is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balders View Post
I live in France but want a UK/US keyboard (that they can do) but want the OS in English as well as iWork. This is the reason for buying outside of France.
I'm not sure how the keyboard in France differs from the one in US. However, it is possible to change the language of your operating system. I believe when you first start up your Mac, there will be an option for you to choose which language you want. The default is in English for the most part, so I haven't actually changed it at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Balders

 
Member Since: Feb 22, 2010
Posts: 4
Balders is on a distinguished road

Balders is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
I wouldn't recommend you to buy a Macbook Pro overseas, though. Through my own experiences, I brought my Macbook to the States for my studies last year, and the difference in voltage really killed my battery. Macbook Pros manufactured for this country has batteries specifically built for the voltage of that country. At least that is what I found out from a Genius when I visited a store once. He told me that it isn't recommended for me to buy a battery from the States if I bought my Macbook from my country.
I am a little confused as to what you say here. Laptops are used a lot for travelling. Power supplies are mostly 110v/240v compatible so to say that voltage difference affects the life of a battery can only show up a weakness in the Macbook hardware. I have a Asus laptop for the moment that has travelled a bit and the battery hasn't been affected as yet.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,218
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balders View Post
I live in France but want a UK/US keyboard (that they can do) but want the OS in English as well as iWork. This is the reason for buying outside of France.
I just went to the Apple Store (France)...is this the keyboard you're looking for:

Clavier Apple avec pavé numérique - Anglais (USA) - Apple Store (France)

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,218
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
I'm not sure how the keyboard in France differs from the one in US. However, it is possible to change the language of your operating system. I believe when you first start up your Mac, there will be an option for you to choose which language you want. The default is in English for the most part, so I haven't actually changed it at all.
There's a definite difference between the US & French keyboards. As you can see (links below)...the French keyboard has characters not found on the USA keyboard...and the French keyboard isn't "QWERTY".

French:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/...d=0&layer=comp

English:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/...d=0&layer=comp

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

 
Member Since: Mar 31, 2008
Posts: 385
PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

PsYkOoOoO is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balders View Post
I am a little confused as to what you say here. Laptops are used a lot for travelling. Power supplies are mostly 110v/240v compatible so to say that voltage difference affects the life of a battery can only show up a weakness in the Macbook hardware. I have a Asus laptop for the moment that has travelled a bit and the battery hasn't been affected as yet.
Well, it is what I have observed and, like I said, what the Genius told me when I tried to buy an extra battery for my Macbook. I am using the white Macbook from 2007, and that was what he told me anyway. When I left for the States, my battery health was at about 80%. Over about half a year while I was there, it dropped rapidly to about 30%, only to come back to about 70% again when I returned. I'm not sure if that is any cause for concern but, I'd much rather buy my batteries in the country where I got my Macbook, really.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

 
Member Since: Mar 31, 2008
Posts: 385
PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

PsYkOoOoO is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
There's a definite difference between the US & French keyboards. As you can see (links below)...the French keyboard has characters not found on the USA keyboard...and the French keyboard isn't "QWERTY".

French:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/...d=0&layer=comp

English:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/...d=0&layer=comp

- Nick
What a funky looking Enter button.
QUOTE Thanks
Balders

 
Member Since: Feb 22, 2010
Posts: 4
Balders is on a distinguished road

Balders is offline
The French keyboards are AZERTY. I am used to both now but prefer the UK keyboard for laptops. If you are doing a lot of figure work you have to go to upper case which can be a real pain.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Just another new MBP owner!!! | Intro and New Mac user external HD question »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Purchase Factory Unlocked iPhone digitalnerd iPhone Hardware and Accessories 0 11-28-2009 12:03 PM
Best Place to Purchase Mac Pro-Buying Questions markw10 Apple Desktops 1 01-09-2008 05:06 PM
iPhone purchase Coheed848 iPhone Hardware and Accessories 2 11-30-2007 02:50 PM
Genuine windows key purchase? richardcanham Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 4 04-08-2007 06:23 PM
Can you buy "AppleCare" after purchase? Is it cheaper at purchase? techmonkey Switcher Hangout 6 03-08-2007 07:50 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?