New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Intelligent Resizing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

orbit79

orbit79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram 500GB HDD, iPad 16 GB WIFI & 3G, iPhone 16GB.

Hi all, I've been hanging around for some time and thought it was probably time I joined up. A few months ago I bought myself a new iMac after having used them at uni and enjoyed them. I rarely miss Windows, and when I do I just log into Windows 7 via Boot Camp or Parallels. Now, I know that many Mac users swear by the intelligent resizing, and maybe it's my Windows background, but I can't just handle it. I understand that it's an attempt not to waste desktop real estate, but given that Spaces works so well, I don't see the need. If I'm browsing I don't want distractions in my vision. I can easily Command-Tab to another app, or better still simply switch to another Space with Control-Arrow. Anyway, is there a way to turn intelligent resizing off? I'm assuming thought that it's probably app specific, would this be correct? If so, does anybody know how to turn it off, or otherwise 'completely maximize' Chrome? I'm a long time Firefox user, but Chrome seems rather interesting and I'd like to give it a go. Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
stewabr

stewabr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBPro (mid 2009) 3.06Ghz 8GB RAM 500MB 7200RPM NVIDIA GeForce9400GT 512MB RAM

I hate and I mean hate "intelligent" resizing. It is one of the few things that Windows is clearly superior in. To get the same feel as Windows download an app called RightZoom and put in your startup applications.
Right Zoom for Mac - Free Mac software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit79 View Post
If I'm browsing I don't want distractions in my vision.
I'm just the opposite. I don't view that as a distraction, but rather as accessibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewabr View Post
I hate and I mean hate "intelligent" resizing. It is one of the few things that Windows is clearly superior in.
Not from my perspective. I prefer the intelligent resizing approach.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

You should at least have an option in System Preferences though. Glad I found this tool.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

^ Agreed. The Mac platform has always been about customization. That's why we love our Macs so much.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switch to Which Mac? | Please help, 'downloads folder' question. »