New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What is "flash"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5", 4GB RAM, 500 GB hdd 16G wi-fi iPad

Hi all. I'm fairly inept at most computer functions, other than surfing and basic photo stuff. We just got our first mac a few weeks ago. I see some talk about "flash", and "clicktoflash" etc... What is this "flash"? And "clicktoflash"? Is it something that will enhance my web experiences? Please help me understand.

Aaron
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Flash:

Adobe Flash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ClickToFlash is something that allows you to block Flash content and click on it if you want to see it.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

It isn't something that most users would really care too much about, but since we're super geeky here, we don't like the flash codec. It makes our CPU work harder than it needs to, unless you're running Windows. Linux and Mac OS X users have been subjected to inefficient coding for too long on our platforms, and we don't want to run our systems into the ground (high cpu use for flash content) just viewing web ads, or streaming video.

As a result of so many web ads being scripted in the flash codec, clicktoflash also serves as a great ad filter.
QUOTE Thanks
s&g'sdad

Thanks for the explanations guys. Would this be a recommended download? Will it extend the life of my mac?

Aaron
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice

Probably not very much, it's just the processor will be doing less work over the long haul, but since flash video is on its way out in favor of HTML 5 anyway, no worries.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I was thinking flash was a big coat in a park somewhere lol

Seriously though good explanations

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
generic chick

generic chick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I was thinking flash was a big coat in a park somewhere lol

Seriously though good explanations
I think that's flashER!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by generic chick View Post
I think that's flashER!
HAHA

Oh yea you got me there lol

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
I think that's flashER!
Same difference. They both can be used for good and bad!
QUOTE Thanks
s&g'sdad

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the response and explanations. Sounds like it is not a huge deal.

Aaron
QUOTE Thanks
gael

gael is on a distinguished road

flash is nothing but a sudden intense burst of radiant energy
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
I think that's flashER!
No, that's the part under your car's dashboard that controls the turn signals.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s&g'sdad View Post
Thanks for the explanations guys. Would this be a recommended download? Will it extend the life of my mac?

Aaron
It's preinstalled with OS X so you don't have to decide .

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
It's preinstalled with OS X so you don't have to decide .
I think the OP meant clicktoflash with that post?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
I think the OP meant clicktoflash with that post?
Perhaps you're right.

To the OP: If you were talking about ClickToFlash, you can download it here. Note that ClickToFlash is Safari only. If you want something for Firefox, look into FlashBlock. If you were just referring to Flash, it is installed by default.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD R or DVD RW? (Difference?) | Apple Imac G3 - Can't connect to Internet, please help me!! »