New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Delete programs / apps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

APL

APL is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB mem 320GB HD

I have scanned the facts above but can nit find the answer. If I just drag a application or program into the trash will it delete it and fully uninstall it?

I am looking to clean delete program / application for misc things I do not use anymore.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Emptee

Emptee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB

Yes doing that will delete it from your hard drive. I highly recomend AppCleaner or AppZapper. You drag and drop the application you wish to delete into that app and it will scan your system for all related files to fully 100% uninstall and erase all existing files regarding that unwanted app.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Agreed. Dragging the app to the trash will delete and uninstall it. Using AppCleaner or AppZapper will get rid of the little preference files left behind by the app.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

1. If an uninstaller comes with the program, run that as the first preference.

2. Download any of the removal, utilities and use that as second option. AppTrap is freeware.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
2. Download any of the removal, utilities and use that as second option. AppTrap is freeware.
+1 for AppTrapp. It sits in the preferences in System Preferences and is un obtrusive and works well.
If there are associated file/folders to trash with it, when you drag the App to the trash it will ask you 1st if you want to get rid of any

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

While AppTrapp (et al) are nice, they are not -- it should be pointed out -- necessary.

Unlike Windows' registry, most Mac applications do not leave interdependent files all over the place, so if you leave a .plist preference file behind from some app you trashed, not only does it not take up any appreciable space, but its completely inert. This also goes for anything in Application Support.

So it really doesn't matter if you want to trash the plist file or not, except from a "neatness" point of view.

There are a few exceptions, like Microsoft Office and programs that require a startup item, but most of them come with their own uninstallers. The bottom line here is that you can use AppTrapp (et al) if you want to, but it's not mandatory in any way. Just dragging the app to the trash and emptying the trash is generally sufficient.
QUOTE Thanks
LogicBox

LogicBox is on a distinguished road

what does (et al) mean. Sorry I am just really confused by that. But I needed this tip also as I want to remove some stuff, I guess being a solid windows guy, it just seems wrong or like I didnt do something right just by dropping it into the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

'et al' is a flash way of saying 'and others', in this case all cleaning utilities such as AppTrap, AppCleaner, AppZapper etc.
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

hey does clean my mac do the same thing...

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ezi(moto) View Post
hey does clean my mac do the same thing...
In short p3ezi yes it does mate

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

ok...so no need to get the extra stuff

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ezi(moto) View Post
ok...so no need to get the extra stuff
What do you mean 'extra stuff' ??
WOW sorry mate i had i mind blank when answering you. Yes by the look of it it does do Uninstalling, how good i cant say but "extra stuff" ??

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

i tried app zapper with the 5 zap demo and wondered if clean my mac would do the same job since I bought that already

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Yea it looks like you are on a winner there.
As i posted above i have AppTrapp sitting there and dont even know its there for when i trash something and use MainMenu for the cleanup. Out of all i tried i found MM easy and did a better job than all the rest. But looks like you have a all-inone with Clean My Mac

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Chrome or Safari? | Windows 7 on my Macbook »