New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Craigslist Blocked Me: Will Changing IP Address on MAC Fix?

Thread Closed

OneArmMan

OneArmMan is on a distinguished road

I have Snow Leopard and CR has me blocked due to filters. I have read that I must change my IP address. If I change the IP of my MAC will this clear it up? Must I contact my ISP or will changing my IP on the machine take care of this?

Thank You
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Hi there,
Craigslist are blocking your internet-facing IP, or your public IP.

You would need to contact your ISP to get a new IP, but depending on who your ISP is, they may or may not grant this request, depending on the reason you give them.

Mid 2011 i5 2.5 GHz iMac 21.5"
OneArmMan

So changing my IP via root user will not help?
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Your ISP is providing you a public IP address through your cable/DSL modem..if you have a router that is connected to this device and your Mac is connected to the router..you're getting a private/internal IP address that isn't visible/usable on the Internet (also known as Class C)..

If you are being blocked by Craigslist, they seldom block a specific IP address unless they have significant evidence of a particular IP spamming or doing bad things to their site..they'll most likely ban a whole range of IP addresses..

You should contact your ISP (assuming you aren't doing anything dumb) and ask them to expire your IP lease so that your modem can get a new one..

Regards
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

The only negative is - if you've done something to cause your IP to be blocked by CL, getting your ISP to release it from you and assign it to someone else isn't fair to anyone else. You need to contact Craigslist and get the issue resolved - don't force onto someone else something you have caused.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The key question here is why has Craig's List blocked you? Like eBay they don't ordinarily block folks unless something is being done that's not in accordance with their rules.

Regards.
OneArmMan

I had Verizon "provide" me with a new lease and it works great.

Question: How Can I Prevent This From Happening Again???

A Static IP Will Not Help Correct?
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneArmMan View Post
I had Verizon "provide" me with a new lease and it works great.

Question: How Can I Prevent This From Happening Again???

A Static IP Will Not Help Correct?

Thats easy....DONT DO WHATEVER YOU DID BEFORE !

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
OneArmMan

Now Why Would I Not Use A Service Such As CR? After All I Am Not Selling something illegal.
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I wasn't referring to not using CR but to not getting banned again .

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
OneArmMan

The reason behind being blocked is simply because of uing CR in and of itself. In fact I used it 3 times this morning and these morons blocked me yet again.
ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I have to question then what it is you're doing with Craigslist. You don't just get banned for no apparent reason. Contact them to find out why they're doing it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
OneArmMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I have to question then what it is you're doing with Craigslist. You don't just get banned for no apparent reason. Contact them to find out why they're doing it.

Unfortunately this is simply not the case. If you do a search you will find that this is quite common after CR installed strict spam filters.

We do nothing more than search the country looking for old Honda mini bikes. I hardly consider this a breach of the terms of the CR contract.
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you do a search in such a way that could be construed as spam, you are violating their terms. I would suggest looking over their spam policy (or related policy) and comparing it with your actions.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
OneArmMan

If using CR to locate and purchase legal items such as a mini bike is considered spam then I am guilty as charged.

I was under the impression that CR was created just for this purpose. A quick glance at CR shows all kinds of Twisted Listings yet CR bans users simply because they search outside of their immediate area??

Ludicrous!

Thread Closed

« (Active) USB extension cables not working on mac? | iMac G5 »