Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Craigslist Blocked Me: Will Changing IP Address on MAC Fix? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/191701-craigslist-blocked-me-will-changing-ip-address-mac-fix.html)

OneArmMan 02-19-2010 10:48 AM

Craigslist Blocked Me: Will Changing IP Address on MAC Fix?

I have Snow Leopard and CR has me blocked due to filters. I have read that I must change my IP address. If I change the IP of my MAC will this clear it up? Must I contact my ISP or will changing my IP on the machine take care of this?

Thank You

Rottie 02-19-2010 10:55 AM

Hi there,
Craigslist are blocking your internet-facing IP, or your public IP.

You would need to contact your ISP to get a new IP, but depending on who your ISP is, they may or may not grant this request, depending on the reason you give them.

OneArmMan 02-19-2010 10:59 AM

So changing my IP via root user will not help?

Raz0rEdge 02-19-2010 11:07 AM

Your ISP is providing you a public IP address through your cable/DSL modem..if you have a router that is connected to this device and your Mac is connected to the router..you're getting a private/internal IP address that isn't visible/usable on the Internet (also known as Class C)..

If you are being blocked by Craigslist, they seldom block a specific IP address unless they have significant evidence of a particular IP spamming or doing bad things to their site..they'll most likely ban a whole range of IP addresses..

You should contact your ISP (assuming you aren't doing anything dumb) and ask them to expire your IP lease so that your modem can get a new one..

Regards

Nethfel 02-19-2010 11:42 AM

The only negative is - if you've done something to cause your IP to be blocked by CL, getting your ISP to release it from you and assign it to someone else isn't fair to anyone else. You need to contact Craigslist and get the issue resolved - don't force onto someone else something you have caused.

chscag 02-19-2010 01:14 PM

The key question here is why has Craig's List blocked you? Like eBay they don't ordinarily block folks unless something is being done that's not in accordance with their rules.

Regards.

OneArmMan 02-20-2010 10:21 AM

I had Verizon "provide" me with a new lease and it works great.

Question: How Can I Prevent This From Happening Again???

A Static IP Will Not Help Correct?

clayneal 02-20-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneArmMan (Post 1003790)
I had Verizon "provide" me with a new lease and it works great.

Question: How Can I Prevent This From Happening Again???

A Static IP Will Not Help Correct?

Thats easy....DONT DO WHATEVER YOU DID BEFORE !

OneArmMan 02-20-2010 10:34 AM

Now Why Would I Not Use A Service Such As CR? After All I Am Not Selling something illegal.

clayneal 02-20-2010 10:36 AM

I wasn't referring to not using CR but to not getting banned again .

OneArmMan 02-20-2010 10:58 AM

The reason behind being blocked is simply because of uing CR in and of itself. In fact I used it 3 times this morning and these morons blocked me yet again.
ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!

vansmith 02-20-2010 11:01 AM

I have to question then what it is you're doing with Craigslist. You don't just get banned for no apparent reason. Contact them to find out why they're doing it.

OneArmMan 02-20-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1003827)
I have to question then what it is you're doing with Craigslist. You don't just get banned for no apparent reason. Contact them to find out why they're doing it.

Unfortunately this is simply not the case. If you do a search you will find that this is quite common after CR installed strict spam filters.

We do nothing more than search the country looking for old Honda mini bikes. I hardly consider this a breach of the terms of the CR contract.

vansmith 02-20-2010 11:17 AM

If you do a search in such a way that could be construed as spam, you are violating their terms. I would suggest looking over their spam policy (or related policy) and comparing it with your actions.

OneArmMan 02-20-2010 11:48 AM

If using CR to locate and purchase legal items such as a mini bike is considered spam then I am guilty as charged.

I was under the impression that CR was created just for this purpose. A quick glance at CR shows all kinds of Twisted Listings yet CR bans users simply because they search outside of their immediate area??

Ludicrous!