New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New to MAC, just got my MacBook 6,1!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newmacbrodude

newmacbrodude is on a distinguished road

Just got my new MacBook! The latest build, 6,1. The prettiest thing I've seen(besides my fiance). I've been a windows user/pc user for years. This is my first MAC. I am in love with it. Runs so fast(4GB of RAM). Just loving everything.

I have a few questions though if the more experienced dont mind answering.

1) Can I as a user upgrade the RAM one day? Im sure I'll need a boost to 6GB or 8gb(unofficially supported) one day. Is it easy to do? I have a 320GB HD, I have about 200GB left wont need a new HD in a year or so I think. I heard Crucial had good prices, but when I looked I only saw 2gb versions, I thought the MacBook stacked 1gb on top of each other.

2) I purchased a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI for TV output. I can't have sound through the HDMI?(Im on 10.6.2) No way to enable it? I suppose I'll have to use the optical out through the headphone jack.

3) Is AppleCare worth the $250. I have my one year until Feb 2011, should I purchase applcare in Jan 2011?

4) How to clean it? Im not a messy person, so I dont imagine many scrathes r stains on it, but I know I'll put smudges on it. I purchased a ZAGG shield, just like I did for my iPhone.

Thanks all, Im happy Im now a MAC person, I'll never go back to PC/WINDDOWS again!

Have a great day all
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmacbrodude View Post

Just got my new MacBook! The latest build, 6,1. The prettiest thing I've seen(besides my fiance). I've been a windows user/pc user for years. This is my first MAC. I am in love with it. Runs so fast(4GB of RAM). Just loving everything.

I have a few questions though if the more experienced dont mind answering.

1) Can I as a user upgrade the RAM one day? Im sure I'll need a boost to 6GB or 8gb(unofficially supported) one day. Is it easy to do? I have a 320GB HD, I have about 200GB left wont need a new HD in a year or so I think. I heard Crucial had good prices, but when I looked I only saw 2gb versions, I thought the MacBook stacked 1gb on top of each other.

2) I purchased a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI for TV output. I can't have sound through the HDMI?(Im on 10.6.2) No way to enable it? I suppose I'll have to use the optical out through the headphone jack.

3) Is AppleCare worth the $250. I have my one year until Feb 2011, should I purchase applcare in Jan 2011?

4) How to clean it? Im not a messy person, so I dont imagine many scrathes r stains on it, but I know I'll put smudges on it. I purchased a ZAGG shield, just like I did for my iPhone.

Thanks all, Im happy Im now a MAC person, I'll never go back to PC/WINDDOWS again!

Have a great day all
1. Yes, easy to do. Your Mac should even come with instructions to install new RAM. Also, there are videos on apple.com and youtube. 4gb is plenty unless you're doing some serious video rendering, etc. But to each his own if you feel like spending that much. 2 RAM slots. So for 4GB, it would be 2x2GB sticks, and so on. For HDD or RAM, you can look at Crucial, OWC (macsales.com), or Newegg.com.

2. Yup, audio out is through the "headphone jack" on your Mac.

3. No comment. I didn't get Applecare cause I'm broke and this machine cost me enough as it is, but I'm sure lots of people would recommend it.

4. I never used any screen shield. Just dry wipe with the cloth that comes with your Mac. I sometimes will use monitor wipes if they are alcohol-free, but someone else might say not to do that. So don't blame me if it messes up your screen.
QUOTE Thanks
newmacbrodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
1. Yes, easy to do. Your Mac should even come with instructions to install new RAM. Also, there are videos on apple.com and youtube. 4gb is plenty unless you're doing some serious video rendering, etc. But to each his own if you feel like spending that much. 2 RAM slots. So for 4GB, it would be 2x2GB sticks, and so on. For HDD or RAM, you can look at Crucial, OWC (macsales.com), or Newegg.com.

2. Yup, audio out is through the "headphone jack" on your Mac.

3. No comment. I didn't get Applecare cause I'm broke and this machine cost me enough as it is, but I'm sure lots of people would recommend it.

4. I never used any screen shield. Just dry wipe with the cloth that comes with your Mac. I sometimes will use monitor wipes if they are alcohol-free, but someone else might say not to do that. So don't blame me if it messes up your screen.
Your macbook came with a cloth? mine didnt" . I ordered it new too! arghhhhh maybe I'll have to check the puch the OS discs came in
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

Are you SURE it didn't come with the microfiber cloth? It is black, and was in the bottom of the accessories box in a cellophane sleeve.

I bought mine refurbished, and it included the cloth.

I didn't buy Applecare yet either. Too broke to drop another $200+ right away. I like this computer quite a bit, but it is sure a lot more expensive than a PC. Not just the purchase price, but the software, support, and accessories too.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
generic chick

generic chick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Are you SURE it didn't come with the microfiber cloth? It is black, and was in the bottom of the accessories box in a cellophane sleeve.

It looks sort of like a black envelope in a cellophane sleeve. You should probably send it back if you didn't get one.
QUOTE Thanks
newmacbrodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post

I didn't buy Applecare yet either. Too broke to drop another $200+ right away. I like this computer quite a bit, but it is sure a lot more expensive than a PC. Not just the purchase price, but the software, support, and accessories too.
I suppose I'll search the box again, everything is still in my home office so I will check it out. Maybe I over looked it in my box cracking joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by generic chick View Post
It looks sort of like a black envelope in a cellophane sleeve. You should probably send it back if you didn't get one.
LOL, send it back! I can't its been only a few days and its attached to my hip! haha
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

3. Rule of thumb: always buy AppleCare for laptops and Mac Minis, don't bother for other desktop Macs. (not MACs!)

4. No special computer cloth required to "dust off" the LCD screen - use a fabric softener sheet that you put in the clothes dryer. (Sorry, no link for that, but it was a reputable source.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pop up Cannot get rid of | USB Flash Drives No Longer Showing Up? »