New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

USB Flash Drives No Longer Showing Up?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

I've been using a couple of USB flash drives between my iMac and PC for over a year. About 99% of the time I remove them by ejecting, but occasionally the iMac won't acknowledge that I have inserted the USB although the USB sees the power and flashes. These drives need to work on both PCs and OSX and they started life on the PCs so I guess they are formatted that way.

I can extract the data stored onto the PC and reformat, but what format is 100% compatible with both MS OS's and Apple's OS's?

I also use these drives to bring artwork to the printer and I think he has PC based stuff. The opposite of normal, but its been working for me for some time.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

This is a good question, and I hope someone has the answer for it. I'm curious about it too.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To the OP:

The only format that is compatible (without special drivers) to both the PC (Windows) and your Mac is FAT-32. Keep in mind though that FAT-32 has a ~4 Gb file limit (if your flash drive is a large one).

And a warning Do not format a flash drive using your Mac if you wish the drive to be able to be read both on a PC and Mac.

Here's why: Disk Utility will leave a small 200 Mb protective partition on the flash drive in addition to formatting the remainder of the drive. You'll wind up with two partitions on the drive. That's OK if you're only going to use the drive with a Mac. However, Windows can only "see" the first partition on a flash drive. So if you have a flash drive that's 8 Gb which you just formatted with Disk Utility, Windows will only "see" it as 200 Mb.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

One of my drives is an 8 Gig, but I'm not using that one anyway. Its the 2 Gig and 4 Gig ones that I'm having problems with. What I did try was plugging one directly into the back of my iMac and I was able to use it. It seems that neither of my powered Belkin USB expansion port units are liking the USB drives, but everything else that is hooked up is working fine. I've googled this and it's an old problem... but I haven't found an easy solution that works with Snow Leopard.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Of course, when you buy a new flash drive, you can get one that is compatible with Windows, Linux, and Macintosh right out of the bubble package.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Of course, when you buy a new flash drive, you can get one that is compatible with Windows, Linux, and Macintosh right out of the bubble package.
That's just about every flash drive which is sold nowadays. I haven't gotten one yet that wasn't formatted to FAT-32. And since FAT-32 is R\W for Windows, OS X, and Linux, that makes them compatible.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to MAC, just got my MacBook 6,1! | 5400 vs 7200 rpm Unibody MBP HDD »