New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Please help, 'downloads folder' question.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bhellings

bhellings is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, I've always been a windows user and recently switched over to mac and to be honest I think it's the best move I've ever done. It's so much better in so many ways, my only regret is not switching five years ago. I have one problem however, with my downloads folder. It seems somehow my downloads got switched behind the actual folder icon. As little as it seems, its been getting on my nerves as I can no longer see my last downloaded object. If anyone can help me out here, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks alot!

QUOTE Thanks
fade

right click the folder (on the dock) and select sort by date added...
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Phew! Great translation skills there, fade. Your answer might address the "can't see last downloaded object" phrase, I suppose. I read the relevant part of that post at least five times, and can't figure out what the OP wants to fix.

bhellings, is the icon in the Dock the problem? What does "my downloads got switched behind the actual folder icon" mean? Are there actually two icons there? If so, what is the other one? It's not an icon I've ever seen in my Dock. Were you modifying those?

Can you clearly explain the "can't see last downloaded object" phrase? See it where?

Sorry if I'm being dense...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Remove the "folder" from the DOCK (drag it off and it will disappear). That will either expose your original Downloads folder or there will be no icon at all. If there's no icon at all, just open the Finder, highlight your user name, and then drag "Downloads" to the right side of the DOCK. A new Downloads folder will appear.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Well, ok, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
highlight your user name, and then drag "Downloads" to the right side of the DOCK.
Taken literally, you won't see the Downloads Folder if you just highlight the UserName Folder. You have to open it. Most would understand that, but a total newbie to computers might not. This is for them. And this: dive in, you'll be a pro in no time!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Actually, fade's answer was correct.

The OP has her download folder set as a stack, not a folder, so that the last item downloaded will be at the top of the stack.

For some reason the stack isn't updating in the manner they want it to. Right-clicking (or control-clicking) the icon in the dock will give them the option to set the priority of the stack to "date added," which should then bring the most recent item back to the "top" of the stack "pile."
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If a folder was the most recently added object to the Downloads folder, it will show up on top. So, if you downloaded an archive and decompressed it to a folder, you'll notice that your stack now looks like a folder since the folder was the newest addition to that folder.

My question is this - does it always show the folder icon regardless of what you download?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Actually, fade's answer was correct.

The OP has her download folder set as a stack, not a folder, so that the last item downloaded will be at the top of the stack.
But that is not what fade's answer was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade View Post
right click the folder (on the dock) and select sort by date added...
Sort by choices do not have any affect on my Stack icon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
If a folder was the most recently added object to the Downloads folder, it will show up on top. So, if you downloaded an archive and decompressed it to a folder, you'll notice that your stack now looks like a folder since the folder was the newest addition to that folder.
Agreed, IF Sort by is set to Date Added and Display as is set to Stack.

Perhaps, to get the icon the OP wants to see (or is used to seeing), the solution is simply to set Display as to Folder. But, I'm not sure that the OP has been reading this.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I just tried it and if the OP has it set as "date modified', "date created", or "date added" the latest download should come up at the front of the stack.
Anything else it ill be sorted by "name" or "kind" which unless they are lucky will be hidden somewhere in the stack ...

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intelligent Resizing | Windows-like picture import tool for OSX? »