New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Unable to test drive a Mac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macsnap5

Macsnap5 is on a distinguished road

I live 4-5 hours from my nearest Apple Store. Would like to try the OS before purchase. Any ideas? I don't know any one who has a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You don't give your location, or I'd point you to the nearest Macintosh Users Group.

There are also many stores beyond just Apple Stores that sell Macs, albeit I definitely suggest the Apple Store for the best experience just kicking the tires and asking questions. You might see if there is an independent Apple dealer closer to you, or a Best Buy (many of them sell Macs, call ahead so you can be there when the "Apple Guy" is there -- DON'T talk to the "normal" salespeople!!).
QUOTE Thanks
neonmac

neonmac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it

That is true about Bestbuy. I bought my Mac in BB. I found the sales guy to be very patronizing and ignorant to people. He was somebody who tried to act as if they were computer / Apple experts. I got so annoyed at him that I dropped this comment. " I know what it does as I am currently pursuing my Computer Science major and minor in Physics " and had spent a year as a certified IT Developer for my previous job. He was quick to change his attitude.

I would say it is best to go to the Apple store. The staff there are great and do not act all knowing to people. They are great.

The only thing Microsoft could make that would not suck, would be a vacum.

www.obsessivemacdisorder.com
QUOTE Thanks
Macsnap5

Macsnap5 is on a distinguished road

I decided to go with plan B. I drove to my nearest Apple dealer outlet American tv and appliance in Marquette,MI. The salesman was to busy ring up another customer so I decided to play. It's really sweet! I honestly didn't care for the Pro version. It's a bit to big for me. Plus I really love the white casing. When I attempted to pick up the Macbook the security cable must have popped loose and caused the alarm to go off! That same salesman eventually shut the alarm off. Nobody asked if I had any questions. Still, better than nothing. While I agree, an actual expert or Mac user would be the better option.

Oh yeah- My wife freaked when she saw the price. Any of you guys/gals have your loved one complain?
QUOTE Thanks
babyt

babyt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsnap5 View Post
Oh yeah- My wife freaked when she saw the price. Any of you guys/gals have your loved one complain?

my parents think it is a huge waste of money.
but i dont really care, i saved up for it and i want it.
so boo on them
just waiting a few more weeks incase updates do happen..

aye bay bay
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You don't give your location, or I'd point you to the nearest Macintosh Users Group.

There are also many stores beyond just Apple Stores that sell Macs, albeit I definitely suggest the Apple Store for the best experience just kicking the tires and asking questions. You might see if there is an independent Apple dealer closer to you, or a Best Buy (many of them sell Macs, call ahead so you can be there when the "Apple Guy" is there -- DON'T talk to the "normal" salespeople!!).
Haha, I'm the token "Apple Guy" at my Best Buy. Actually, 3 of the geek squad agents are mac guys, and 2 of the other 3 major computer salespeople are mac guys, as are a lot of my superiors, and coworkers in cameras and mobile haha. But I'm like, the "techy" Apple guy. Even though I don't know nearly as much as I want to to be classified as techy.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:

After 25-30 years or so, she won't necessarily be happy, but she'll get use to the price of your toys.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dazcaz

dazcaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac

Quote:
I decided to go with plan B. I drove to my nearest Apple dealer outlet American tv and ap I honestly didn't care for the Pro version. It's a bit to big for me. Plus I really love the white casing.
I'm looking to buy a Macbook, and I was interested in seeing the spec and price when compared to a Macbook pro.

Yes, they Pro is sexy and all one piece aluminium, but the white, non pro, has the same processor, the same RAM and a bigger hard drive (250Gb opposed to 160GB), all for about 100 UK pounds less than the base spec pro.

If you are not going to throw the thing around then, in my opinion, the non Pro version is by far the better buy.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
If either of you are a student or an educator or school administrator, ask about the modest Apple Education Discount.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

When I purchased my Macbook pro last August and came home with it my wife wasn't too happy about it. She still doesn't know how much I had spent that day at the Apple store. But she is happy that I am happy with it. Even though now it cuts down on our time together in the evening hours. Let sleeping dogs lie.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
generic chick

generic chick is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Currently, I live alone, my finances are my own, however in the past, a quick tally of the shoe closet shut me up. People who own 4 pairs of black pumps can't complain about the price of a sand wedge!
QUOTE Thanks
SpinningCompass

Quote:
Any of you guys/gals have your loved one complain?
That's where creative accounting comes in. If you cancel your wireless Internet ($60/month), adjust your cell phone plan ($20/month), and thus save (20+60)*36=$2880, then you can afford to buy a 13" MBP w/ 4GB RAM, iWorks, MacSpeech Dictate, a BlueTooth mic w/ USB adapter, and a 256GB SSD. For an additional $200 ($5.56/mo), you can buy a three-year warranty. Thus, in return for a cost-cutting measure that saves $80/month, you can guarantee trouble-free computing until 2013. Just don't sit on the thing.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

After dealing with low priced PCs and laptops for decades, I consider the higher prices for Apple products to be an advantage. Despite what Walmart and others of their ilk would have you think, you still get what you pay for.

A spouse will be a lot more unhappy a lot longer with a $500 plastic junker than with the one time price tag on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Trickster33

Trickster33 is on a distinguished road

Do what I did.. I picked up a lightly used G5 from a friend for $200.. Ebay is your friend, then you can try out without the big commitment.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

When people ask me about Macs at Best Buy, I ask them to compare total cost of ownership... Let's take a base line MBP at 1199. Since most people can't be bothered to install their own extra RAM, lets say we up it to 4GB bringing it to 1299.

For a similar speced PC, we're talking probably something like a Sony Vaio 14 inch (these days probably with the i3, even though Apple hasn't put them in the MBPs yet, I wait for the core i5, but we won't speculate). So, let's just be generous and say it compares nicely to the VPCW 14 inch, even though the MBP doesn't have bluray, because the MBP has some other features that the Vaio doesn't. We'll say you're looking at 800-850 for a similarly speced PC laptop.

Average life of Mactop = 5 years, average life of Wintop = 3 years.

1300/5 years = 260 a year. 800/3 years = 266.66 a year.

Add on anti-virus software at an average cost of 40 bucks for a year's subscription, and you're looking at 306.66 a year, not to mention having to pay for half decent software when you get your machine, plus having a bunch of trial software you don't want, no restore CDs (most brands don't come with restore discs anymore), and the otherwise known hassles of Windows, and it's a bit easier to get over the difference in initial price tag. Heck, at that price, you could add Apple Care to your MBP for 3 years and still feel good about your decision to switch (it'd be 320 a year with a 300 dollar apple care plan), because you'd be ditching the headaches for a pretty low premium.

Oh, and when you factor in that OS X uses RAM so much more efficiently than a Windows system does so that most people don't even need 4GB, well, then it just looks like a better idea.

Some people aren't ready to switch. This is what I tell the people who are or who are on the fence.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 | Converting to Iphone »