New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

new vs refurb?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LIVLUVLAF

LIVLUVLAF is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: nothing yet ... still salivating at the counter.

I'm torn between two computers.

(NEW) imac 21.5" / 3.06GHz C2D / 4MG 1066MHz DDR3(max 8) / 500GB HD / SD / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics - $1250 CAD
iMac (21.5 and 27-inch, Late 2009) - Technical Specifications

or

(USED w some applecare remaining) imac 24" / 3.06 C2D / 4MG 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; (max 8GB) / 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA HD / SD / ATI radion graphics with 256MB of GDDR3 memory - $1399 CAD
iMac (Early 2009) - Technical Specifications

I have lots of external HD's, that aspect is less important. I currently work with 20" twin monitor system - I'm uncertain I'll be happy with a single 21.5" screen. But NEW vs Refurb?

what would you do???
(sorry, forgot to specify prices)
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Refurbs are fine, If you do a search on here for refurb you will find plenty of happy refurb owners - after all you get the same warranty and its been through quality control twice

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
snaple

snaple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2Gb 20" old school one, looking to invest in a new one.

I would go refurb, if i could find a 13 inch mac-book pro the lower end one, not for sale anywhere. (refurb)
QUOTE Thanks
LIVLUVLAF

LIVLUVLAF is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: nothing yet ... still salivating at the counter.

Does anyone see any negative/sacrifices to buying the older/refurb machine?

As far as my amateur eye can tell - the refurb offers same machine with larger HD & larger screen, better video card?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

There is no downfall from getting refurb from the  store.
As louishen stated you get a great near new Mac and the warranty is as good as if you where buying new.
The next Mac i will get will be a MBP and im going refurb. You are in a win win situation buying refurb from 
Take the plunge you wont regret it

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

My first Mac was new. The rest have been refurbs from the Apple Store. No complaints here, and I will likely never buy new again. Go for it!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
stans34

stans34 is on a distinguished road

I would say refurbs are a good option if you dont have the money to throw on a brand new one
QUOTE Thanks
generic chick

generic chick is on a distinguished road

I got a refurbished macbook the other day. I haven't tormented it enough to know if it'll wear out on the inside any faster than a new one, but I did go over the outside with a fine toothed comb. It was pristine. I couldn't find a scratch, or ding, or fingerprint. I didn't get the fancy shmancy box, but I saved more than enough to cover the applecare and a mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
vaiman

vaiman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core

Bought my refurb Mac Pro 8-Core for the same price as the Quad-Core. Bargain!!
No complaints at all. Go for it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I export iCal dates to a spreadsheet? | Please help a questionable preswitcher »