New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New mac owner, old mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NonPhixion

NonPhixion is on a distinguished road

Well, the Mac isn't that old.

My cousins were moving out, and they gave me their old eMac. Looking at the specs, it looks like it's about 7 years old(2003 or 2004), it's an eMac(dur), Power Mac G4, low RAM, if you need more info to answer my question, I'll post more specs.

Anyway, I was wondering how I would hook up WiFi on this bad boy. What kind of WiFi card I need for it, and would I need an older AirPort for it, just general questions about hooking up WiFi for my eMac.

Any answers are appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Welcome to the Forum. Specs are a big help with getting answers for you. To find what they are crank it up then select Apple Menu - top Left of Menubar and choose About this Mac.
Check here for the specs of your eMac.
Then when in About this Mac click more info for system profiler to get this;

Click for full size

Then you will know if yours is fitted with Airport card as Optional or Standard.
Pic is for Panther 10.3.9 which i guess u will have.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I hope you got OS discs with it also. If not, once you determine the highest OS upgrade it will handle, you'll most likely have to find them on eBay. Just be sure you get a retail disc, not a gray set that will only work on the type of Mac it shipped with.
QUOTE Thanks
dazcaz

dazcaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac

I run a USB wi-fi adapter on my macs that don't have built in wi-fi. The one on the back of this machine is a D-Link. Most wi-fi adapters do not come with Mac drivers, but for a few, drivers are available as a download.
Basically I went into a shop (Maplin) and googled each adapter on my phone, checking for Mac driver availability. They will rarely say Mac OSX on the box, it's only on the website or via Google do you find such info.

HTH
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't compose mail in HTML? And another mail question | Having to reinstall program after startup »