New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

It's Here!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

doug2484

doug2484 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 500gig 15.4" MBP @ 2.53ghz w/ 8gigDDR3 + apple remote

I am posting from it right now. My MBP came today! I am so satisfied. Best purchase ever made.

I have already installed Adobe CS4 MC, IWork, and Aperture 3.

So much to learn. lol. it is so different from a pc. but i feel so much more organized on here. which was always my biggest thing with pc's.

Proud MBP owner.

DL
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Congrats. It's always refreshing to hear from happy Mac users. Pics would be nice too. ^-^"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

Although I feel more organized on a PC still, I just like the Mac better. It is probably just a matter of time though. I have this bad habit of not learning how to do things until I need to. Each time, I'm happy I did.

Next step is to learn how to rip movies from my digital video camera. I read David Pogue's article about archiving old family videos, and my interest was piqued when he spoke about automatically doing whole tapes.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

if you dont post pics it never happened..

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Congratulations on the MBP. I got my new iMac on Friday, and like you, I think it is one of the best purchases I have ever made.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Couple of links to check out - might be helpful.
Look at this and this
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Yeah, we don't believe you bought a mac. We need pics for proof!

QUOTE Thanks
doug2484

doug2484 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 500gig 15.4" MBP @ 2.53ghz w/ 8gigDDR3 + apple remote

See Attached!

It did happen! It does exist!

Also, i broke down and put MS Office on it. Was having some issues with opening .doc's in pages.

lol. I was playing around with it earlier, i even made a movie in imovie for the fun of it. put it on youtube. lol.
see!
just a short clip from new years, put together real quick in imovie.
imovie is really quite nice. lol.

soooo, anyone have any software they swear by? that i must have? since i am going through the process of putting more programs on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 317753545477_0_0.jpg (40.3 KB, 17 views)

DL
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

You know, I swear by MS Word & Excel. I got so used to using them, learned all the shortcuts. But if I learned them, I can learn the Mac-specific software too.

Pages can save & open files in any of at least 3 Word formats. Save in RTF format, and you can open them about anywhere. The main thing is that you can't 'Save As' then pick the file type. You have to 'export' then choose the file type.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

There are many threads on here that feature "software we swear by," but my list would mostly comprise Apple's included stuff. So here are the few non-Apple products I really need in my daily life:

1. Toast. I stick with version 9 since it continues to work beautifully. I like to compile music videos I've collected round the world onto DVD.

2. ACDSee Pro for Mac. I'm biased on this (see my signature), but its a powerful batch-operations tool, organiser and soon-to-be-photo editor that surpasses the lovely iPhoto.

3. Disc Cover. Use it to make my custom DVD covers. This + Photoshop = awesome.

4. Delicious Library. Organize my 2,000+ CD collection or my hundreds of books? No problem!

5. Disk Warrior, Carbon Copy Cloner and OnyX. These three tools ($90, donationware and free, respectively) keep my Mac running smoothly. If only AppleJack was compatible with Snow Leopard, sigh ...

6. Audio Hijack Pro. I listen to BBC 7 and other internet stations a lot, and want to time-shift record them. Wiretap Studio is also very good for this, but I got AHP first.

7. FStream and AOL Radio. Both excellent at storing and letting me listen to stations not offered on iTunes. FStream even records (just not as slick as AHP).

8. AppZapper. I never met a beta I didn't like, but how to clean up when you've decided its not for you? There are other apps that TOTALLY remove applications from the Mac, but this has a loud ZAP sound and I'm like 12 years old (emotionally) so I love it.

Lastly, iWork. Yes it's from Apple, but it costs extra (best $79 you'll ever spend). Pages is great, Keynote is AMAZING, and Numbers is very cool but I'm not much of a spreadsheet person (but when I need it, I need it to look good, and Numbers delivers on that in SPADES).
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

When it comes to iWork and Keynote this is my absolute favourite - Wooji Juice: Presentation Remote - of course one needs the iPhone to use it, but it will impress the Boss.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cleaning Up After My Idiot Friend | All Change »