New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Mac Owner / New Machine - No discs ???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fgib57

fgib57 is on a distinguished road

Are we supposed to get discs with laptops - like restore discs ??

I am a little concerned about what I do if things go wrong and I need to restore my laptop. Mac Pro.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Look in the box again for a CD sized package called "Everything Else".

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
fgib57

fgib57 is on a distinguished road

Nope - no discs.... but I biught this off a private seller on ebay (not someone who sells loads comps - he just was selling this one - his own previous machine).

Are discs always included and necessary?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Call him or email him and tell him that the disks were not included.

And yes, the disks are important.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgib57 View Post
Are discs always included
No, not by resellers. Based on reading posts here and on other Mac forums, It seems that a significant number of Mac owners have great difficulty keeping track of installation discs. That's not good, because...
Quote:
and necessary?
Yes.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgib57 View Post
Nope - no discs.... but I biught this off a private seller on ebay (not someone who sells loads comps - he just was selling this one - his own previous machine).

Are discs always included and necessary?
For future reference any time you buy a used Mac, one of the things you should always ask or look for are the original discs. You can live without them if you have or bought another Mac OS X retail disc.

The problem with not having the original discs is that you won't get the applications that were included when the computer was originally bought. That's also not a big issue unless you payed for extra software from Apple. You didn't say which OS version you have but the other issue is that if you like any older versions of Mac OS X then it will be pretty hard to get them now. I'm assuming your Mac is an Intel Mac and not a PowerPC Mac. PowerPC Macs can only go as high as Leopard (10.5) so what I just said would be a big issue if you had a PowerPC. Snow Leopard (10.6) is the current Mac OS and it doesn't work on PowerPCs.

You really should contact the seller and see if you can get those discs but if he didn't include them in the first place then he probably has lost them. The other option for you is to buy a retail copy of Mac OS X. Mac OS X doesn't have a separate disc for hardware drivers like Windows computers which is why it's not the end of the world if you don't have the original discs but you should have at least a retail Mac OS X disc in case you ever need to reinstall your OS and there are other reasons too.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Golden rule no system restore discs no sale!

You do need the discs to access trouble shooting utilities such as Apple Hardware Test etc.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Golden rule no system restore discs no sale!
That's just one of the hazards of buying a Mac or any other computer second hand from someone on eBay. One of the reasons I usually recommend staying away from eBay and Craig's list. (the exception is if you're local to the Craig's list seller)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« About to make the leap.... Well kind of.... | Phantom CD? »