New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Did The deed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

I have finally done the deed. After reading this forum for a while and doing other research, I finally made the switch to Mac. My tax refund came today, and I made the hour drive to the nearest Apple Store. 15 minutes later, I was the proud owner of a brand new 27" iMac 2.66GHz i5. I just finished putting together my new desk and setting up the new iMac. As read on this forum, the first ting I did was to run software update and do a Time Machine backup. I haven't been able to play much yet, but so far I am loving the new Mac. I din't have any questions yet, but I am sure I will eventually.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Congrats on the purchase!

I hope you enjoy your new, and shiny, desktop. =D
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

I know I will. I moved from a home built tower PC but rarely used it anymore, using mostly a 10 year old HP laptop with Ubuntu.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Congrats on your Macintosh purchase...and you decision to switch to Mac.

What made you choose the quad-core 27" iMac?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
SpinningCompass

Good luck with your new computer.

I think you'll find this forum a very pleasant, user-friendly place. I encourage you to ask away if you have any questions.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick
I chose the quad core because I do some 3D rendering, and the software I use (it dose have Mac versions =)) is multi-core aware. I figured I would go with the quad and take full advantage of it. Also, I am hoping to not have to replace the computer for several years and everything I have read here seems to indicate that this will last a while, and also future proofing instead of getting another C2D machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Grats and I'll bet you won't regret the switch.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Congrats and btw ... JEALOUS!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_eam View Post
I chose the quad core because I do some 3D rendering, and the software I use (it dose have Mac versions =)) is multi-core aware. I figured I would go with the quad and take full advantage of it. Also, I am hoping to not have to replace the computer for several years and everything I have read here seems to indicate that this will last a while, and also future proofing instead of getting another C2D machine.
If I was to buy a new desktop Mac...the 27" quad-core is what I would get!

Enjoy,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
nospeed411

nospeed411 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP 2.26, 2008 MB Aluminum 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick
He was following the theory of go big or go home...LOL Congrats on the new purchase. You will be very happy I am sure.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Welcome.
I am also jealous of your purchase!
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospeed411 View Post
He was following the theory of go big or go home...LOL Congrats on the new purchase. You will be very happy I am sure.
LOL...yeah, that too. I figured if it was worth doing, it was worth doing right.
QUOTE Thanks
robotboy175

robotboy175 is on a distinguished road

i did the deed too, but i didn't think i ought to post about it!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Congrats on not only your new baby but on your procative of setting up a back-up plan from the start ! Now to just get that bootable back-up sitting next to your TM drive .

Enjoy
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
Congrats on not only your new baby but on your procative of setting up a back-up plan from the start ! Now to just get that bootable back-up sitting next to your TM drive .

Enjoy
Clay
I did buy 2 WD Mybook 1TB usb drives. Got the for $99 each, just haven't hooked the second one up yet. Funny thing is, I never did backups on any of my Windows machines..and lost a lot of stuff as a result, but still never did backups. This time I am going to do it right from the start. I do have a question about the external usb drives, but I will put that in it's own thread.

I have only had the iMac since Friday, but i absolutely love this thing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First Mac. | Plugging components into Macbook and Windows 7 »