New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AppIe

AppIe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro, iPhone 4, ibook g4, imac g5

My iMac is working up. It keeps on crashing. I tried installing OS again, but the machine wouldn´t read the disc. It kept saying it couldnt boot from that disc. I even tried the Delux check (The disc in the Apple Care Protection Plan), but no dice. I can not afford a new mac at the moment, so any help regarding what the problem might be would be highly aprecciated.

Cheers
Me
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

If the disc is the original system install disc that came with the machine, sounds like you have a compromised superdrive. Have you tried running Apple Hardware Test from Disc 1?
QUOTE Thanks
AppIe

Good morning, from the other side of the world, and thank you for quick response

Yes, it was the original Install Apple Hardware Test (Tiger)
So I´m guessing this is not a good thing.
Any tips to what I should do? What parts I should replace.

Have a great weekend
Me
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If possible, you might want to just borrow a friend's external DVD writer (assuming you know anyone with that equipment) and see if the disc will boot from that.

Failing that, a little shot or two of compressed air (just a shot or two!) may make the optical drive behave better.

Failing those, it may be time to have a tech figure out what's going on with it.
QUOTE Thanks
AppIe

Can i use one of my other macs as an external drive? With the hold-down-the-t-button-trick? And another question: What is compromised superdrive?

Cheers.
Me
QUOTE Thanks
AppIe

I know know what´s wrong. My RAM is acting up. I got this message:
2mem /1/4: DIMM1 /J4001

But isn´t this a Kingston RAM? Don´t they have a lifetimeguarantee? I would higly appreciate any help in getting my iMac back on track.

Have a great weekend.
Appie
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppIe View Post
I know know what´s wrong. My RAM is acting up. I got this message:
2mem /1/4: DIMM1 /J4001

But isn´t this a Kingston RAM? Don´t they have a lifetimeguarantee? I would higly appreciate any help in getting my iMac back on track.

Have a great weekend.
Appie
You didn't tell us the specs of your iMac G5. But some models have motherboard ram...which would allow you to remove the user installed ram...and then test your computer to see if you still have problems.

Alternatively...if your specific iMac G5 model doesn't have any motherboard ram...but has two sticks of ram installed (in the iMac G5's two ram slots). You could remove the one stick of "bad" ram...and then restart your computer to see if you still have problems.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
AppIe

Good point, pigoo3. I´ve got the first G5 iMac 2004, i believe. And there´s two RAM slots. 512 each. Looks like the numer two ram is not workin, so I´ll try to remome the bas seed.

Karma and rep point for you, pigoo3.
I´ll keep you informed on how things work out.

Cheers
Appie
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good point, pigoo3. I´ve got the first G5 iMac 2004, i believe. And there´s two RAM slots. 512 each. Looks like the numer two ram is not workin, so I´ll try to remome the bas seed.

Karma and rep point for you, pigoo3.
I´ll keep you informed on how things work out.

Cheers
Appie
Awesome! Hopefully (or unfortunately) one of the ram sticks is bad...and your problem will be solved. Of course then you may need to purchase some replacement ram.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
AppIe

UPDATE! Now everything is ok! I removed the bad ram(a samsung 512mb), and took the startuptest. AllOK. Thank you for all your help. Got any tips for where I can buy good ram? I would now like to replace my two 512mb with two 1gbs. Since my machine is now healthy and up and running

Cheers
Espen
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
UPDATE! Now everything is ok! I removed the bad ram(a samsung 512mb), and took the startuptest. AllOK. Thank you for all your help. Got any tips for where I can buy good ram? I would now like to replace my two 512mb with two 1gbs. Since my machine is now healthy and up and running

Cheers
Espen
Congrats on getting things fixed...I'm sure things now feel so MUCH better!

Here's the place I always recommend for ram:

OWC

There are other good places as well.

I know that you're in Norway...but other folks outside the United States order from them as well...and have given them high marks.

Congrats again,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Craigslist Blocked Me: Will Changing IP Address on MAC Fix? | Unable to test drive a Mac. »