New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Installing Apps leaves Universal "NO" icon in Applications folder?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

keidalgrim

keidalgrim is on a distinguished road

Hi all:

I switched from Windows to my first Mac about 2 months ago. Several questions but I'll start with this one:

Whenever I install a new application I follow the directions to drag the app icon onto the Applications folder. When I do that (and then open up the applications folder), instead of having the correct icon, I have an icon that looks like a couple sheets of paper with a gray NO symbol across them (you know, the circle with a line through it).

I can usually fix this by pulling that icon (app) out of the Apps folder onto the desktop (where it magically changes back to its correct icon) and then dragging it back into the Apps folder.

Is this normal? Doesn't seem correct. Thank you in advance for helping this noob out.

Keith
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You're seeing the "NO" sign icon because you haven't approved the application to run. OS X has a protection mechanism that will flag a newly install application as such. The first time you run the application, it will warn you that the application was downloaded from the Internet and ask you if it's OK to run. At that point, the app is flagged as "clean" and the icon changes to normal.

So, in short, install your application by dragging it to the Applications folder. Then double-click it to run. Answer the prompt and you needn't worry about it any further.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
keidalgrim

Thanks cwa for your response.

Actually, I do approve the applications to run. And I would have thought that doing so would change the icon. Unfortunately, because I'm sitting at work now (away from my beloved iMac baby at home) I can't verify the usual course of my actions.

I thought that I was "approving" the app first, but it's possible that I'm not doing that.

Honestly though, I'm pretty sure that even after approving the app, the icon is still not changing to its correct state. I will follow up on this later when I get back to my mac.

Keith
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

OK, I'm only speaking from my experience, which may differ slightly from your own. Sometimes browsers will also give you a warning. So, you get one when you download the file, then you get a second after you copy it to the correct location.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Davanw

Davanw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP

I've noticed that sometimes you have to run the program once or twice, maybe a reboot in between, but eventually the icon will change itself to what it should be.
QUOTE Thanks
jpepperman95

jpepperman95 is on a distinguished road

this happens to me, it is nothing to worry about. I believe this is a dock/finder issue. Log off and log back in to fix it. You should only worry when you click the application and it says "This application not supported" or something like that. If there are no side effects there shouldnt be any problems.
QUOTE Thanks
keidalgrim

Thanks to all for your advice. It's true that logging off generally fixes the problem. Still seems inelegant; I expected more from my shiny new iMac. But I still love it.

Keith
:-)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Keith:

This is a bug in the Finder (not refreshing itself after you add the program to a folder). I'm not sure why Apple hasn't fixed it yet, but usually just closing the folder and re-opening it (thus forcing an update) will fix the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

What do you mean by "approving" the app to run, Keidal? Just going through the installation process? That is not authorizing the app. Authorizing requires double clicking on the app to open it, and then a box pops up telling you that this is an app downloaded from the internet or something like that, asking if you want to continue. You click "Continue" and then it will ask for your administrator password. THEN the app is approved for use.

Not sure about the Finder issue, as I have never had any problems installing any apps.
QUOTE Thanks
keidalgrim

By "approving" I am referring to the window that pops up after you've installed an application and are running it for the first time.

It seems that the only action that "fixes" this issue is for me to restart the mac. After bootup, everything looks as it should have, the issue notwithstanding.

Thanks all.
Keith
QUOTE Thanks
TGITC

TGITC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G

Just downloaded 'mame os x'
Dragged icon to app folder, got broken app icon
Ejected disc image, opened app folder, still broken icon
Ran program - Got NO warning, but it worked perfectly...
Still have no icon in app folder but mame is working fine.

Will update you if / when icon eventually appears correctly
QUOTE Thanks
TGITC

TGITC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGITC View Post
Just downloaded 'mame os x'
Dragged icon to app folder, got broken app icon
Ejected disc image, opened app folder, still broken icon
Ran program - Got NO warning, but it worked perfectly...
Still have no icon in app folder but mame is working fine.

Will update you if / when icon eventually appears correctly
I have no patience lol

I did what was described as a solution in a post above.
I dragged the 'no icon' icon, onto the desktop, *POOF* Correct icon appeared.
Dragged new icon back into apps folder...

Job Done
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And if you just leave it alone, the no icon will disappear all on it's own.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mark_Colorado

Mark_Colorado is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keidalgrim View Post
Thanks to all for your advice. It's true that logging off generally fixes the problem. Still seems inelegant; I expected more from my shiny new iMac. But I still love it.

Keith
:-)
It's odd. If I click on Applications in the dock, the icon shows as broken.
If I view Apps in Finder, the icon is fine.
And if I log out and then log in, the icon fixes itself. But I want all users to have a nice experience and I know that not all application installs suffer from this problem.

This is my app, if there is anything proactive that I can do (embed the icon somewhere, tweak a config file) please let me know so I can fix the app before we ship it.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

This is the default behavior of OS X and as has been indicated, there are various methods for the update to happen and to get fixed. Since every application goes through the same sequence, I think most users have figured out what it's about and move on..

I doubt there is anything you can programatically do to fix this short of Apple doing changes to Finder..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disappearing applications. | Mac mail program »