New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should I take it into an Apple store? MBP wouldn't sleep!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ace.13unibody

ace.13unibody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G

So today I closed my computer after a class and usually the apple logo takes a few seconds to dim, but after about 20 seconds it wouldnt turn off. I opened it up and it wasn't sleeping , I closed it again, tried a few more times and the same thing happened. I restarted the computer and it seems to work fine now BUT......should i take it in and have them look at it? It is still under the 1 year manufacturer warranty and i don't want to have issues with it later because i was too lazy to get it looked at. But then again if they are just going to say, "oh it was a software issue you resolved it by restarting it have a good day" i dont want to waste my time that way either.

It's a Macbook Pro Unibody and i was doing some reading about the "No sleep when lid is closed" symptom and everyone seems to say it always comes back later.

Thanks for any advice in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Mr. Drums

Mr. Drums has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My thought is that is was a software issue and you resolved it by restarting it. Have a good day.

(sorry, could not resist).
QUOTE Thanks
ace.13unibody

ace.13unibody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drums View Post
My thought is that is was a software issue and you resolved it by restarting it. Have a good day.

(sorry, could not resist).
HAHA, well I know it sounds silly, I just would feel stupid it it happened again and something needed to be replaced when it was a month out of warrenty, but if it's not something to worry about then i won't worry about it
QUOTE Thanks
emiljan91

emiljan91 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" (mid-09) | Specs:(2.26Ghz CPU,2gb ram, 160gb HD, Nvidia 9400m 256mb DDR3)

I took my BMP to the Genius Bar for a similar reason. The sleeping indicator light would stay on and my MBP would not sleep.

They deleted the sleep image located in /var/vm, and it seemed to have fixed the problem temporarily. Then they told me that if the issue comes back I had to reinstall OSX 10.6. The problem came back, and since i reinstalled 10.6 the problem has disappeared.

I hope this helps you.

Also if your worried about your MBP failing out of warranty. I suggest you get an AppleCare warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr. Drums

Mr. Drums has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Actually, sometimes my wireless router freezes up and cannot log onto the web. When that happens the whole computer gets sluggish. I end up closing the Macbook and it takes about 20 seconds before it sleeps. That seems to reset everything and it all works fine after that. Could be something that happened with your router?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« reading download on imac... | Screen Savers »