New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Double HD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gburnham2004

gburnham2004 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I checked my HD to see how much space was left on a 160G harddrive that came in the emac. it said I only had about 8 gigs left, that seems like very little.

I have a few thousand pictures and about 60 albums of music, so it sems strange it is so full, but maybe not.

So I was thinking about deleting stuff.

I was looking thorough folder of pictures and found a Hard Drive icon and when I opened it, it seems to have everything my hard drive has.

Could have I duplicated the HD and some how got it in a folder of pictures of a car I was selling?

So I moved it into the HD icon itself and it is the same, it appears to be a duplicate.

How do I determine it can be trashed?

Any help would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

If it's an alias, a duplicate, it will have a little arrow in the bottom corner normally. It's safe to trash it if so. If it hasn't then you have other issues.
Quite easily done this, but be careful.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
gburnham2004

gburnham2004 is on a distinguished road

I trashed it, thanks.

However it did not free up much space. I was hoping it had double everything and I would not have to deal with deleting things.

but that is the next thread.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

A few thousand pictures and 60 albums would sure fill it and you do need 15% free space for the eMac to work at iorts maximum. Do not be surpised if you get slowdowns, spinning wheels etc etc and see your other thread.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen Savers | Download site question »