New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Software for the iBook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ToonLad

ToonLad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 1.2ghz / 1.2gb Ram / 30gb HDD / Tiger 10.4 OSX

Hi everyone after swtiching over to my ibook yesterday im sure what software will run on iBook G4 due to still very new to things im working my way round the OS currently any help or sugguestions would be great i have used the search but nothing really related to what can and cant run but i might have missed something while'st doing so.

Laptop spec in sig

Apple iBook G4 1.2ghz / 12.gb RAM / 30gb HDD / Tiger 10.4 OSX
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

First step, I'd update the 10.4 to 10.4.11.

Beyond the (plentiful) software that should have come on your machine, updating to 10.4.11 will allow you the latest iPod, iTunes and Safari updates (as well as security and java updates). This will all be handled by Software Update built into your machine.

Most "on the shelf" Mac software will also run with it too, though more and more of it is going "Leopard or better" these days. The iBook G4, nice though it really is, is coming to the end of its useful life. Considering that the last one rolled off the assembly line five years ago, that's not too bad.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I think the best thing for you to do is work out which Apps you want to use and them google them individually.
The reason being you havnt given us anywhere to turn to as we dont know what you would like to run.
HERE is a list of Snowleopard Compatible Apps so go thru that and see what you would like to run then see if you can downgrade to your OS ...
Best ive got for you for now.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
ToonLad

ToonLad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 1.2ghz / 1.2gb Ram / 30gb HDD / Tiger 10.4 OSX

Thanks for the reply's guys im just looking for good all round software to begin with for photo's and vids. I have also heard that the IBook G4 can run snow leopard dont know how true it is. Any good links on where to buy software from. I will be looking to upgrade the HDD to pissibly 120gb if it can handle it

Apple iBook G4 1.2ghz / 12.gb RAM / 30gb HDD / Tiger 10.4 OSX
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« streaming video - windows media player | which software to run? »