New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Yet Another..Adopter...


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
HBlaine

 
HBlaine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 07, 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 25
HBlaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz

HBlaine is offline
Greetings all!

I can't really say I'm new switcher... But I am in the process of getting my first Mac. I've got a used/refurbished Aluminum G4 Powerbook on it's way. Should be here next week sometime. (And I'm going to be on the road, and won't get it till next weekend... )

I've been a DOS/Windows user since day one, and I still use Win7 for all my work stuff. But I wanted to separate the work stuff from the personal in more ways than just simply setting up a couple different folders. So, with a little extra money in pocket, I decided to take a big leap... I've always wanted to play with a Mac, so now's my chance. I'm not ditching my old computers, but...

I went with a used model because I was just looking for a beater that could sort of act as the "other notepad" for me to just do personal/creative writing/editing, check email and whatnot. I don't need the latest/greatest. And the Powerbook looked like it fit the bill, and would be a good way to get my feet wet.

I'm looking to download NeoOffice when I get the system. Maybe some other utilities. I'm not really sure what all I'll need, so I'll probably be making lots of trips here to the Forum. I have to say, I've learned a lot here just lurking and reading. I'm really glad I found this site, and look forward to learning all I can.

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

 
Chris H.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 2,596
Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Chris H. is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlaine View Post
Greetings all!

I can't really say I'm new switcher... But I am in the process of getting my first Mac. I've got a used/refurbished Aluminum G4 Powerbook on it's way. Should be here next week sometime. (And I'm going to be on the road, and won't get it till next weekend... )

I've been a DOS/Windows user since day one, and I still use Win7 for all my work stuff. But I wanted to separate the work stuff from the personal in more ways than just simply setting up a couple different folders. So, with a little extra money in pocket, I decided to take a big leap... I've always wanted to play with a Mac, so now's my chance. I'm not ditching my old computers, but...

I went with a used model because I was just looking for a beater that could sort of act as the "other notepad" for me to just do personal/creative writing/editing, check email and whatnot. I don't need the latest/greatest. And the Powerbook looked like it fit the bill, and would be a good way to get my feet wet.

I'm looking to download NeoOffice when I get the system. Maybe some other utilities. I'm not really sure what all I'll need, so I'll probably be making lots of trips here to the Forum. I have to say, I've learned a lot here just lurking and reading. I'm really glad I found this site, and look forward to learning all I can.
NeoOffice..Power PC G4....Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard..heck I'd say you got one heck of a computer there! The value is great (in today's monetary value), and still holds its own. However, I'd buy a new battery, and I would also open up the case to clean it out (bought a Power Mac G4 last summer and the thing had cobwebs, dust and dog hair-yuck!!). If you don't want to, that's fine, and if you don't really want to mess anything up, have someone who's knowledgeable in computer hardware maintenance. Mac OS X is nearly bulletproof.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,191
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
NeoOffice will probably do you fine (and I second the recommendation for Leopard), but you really should have a look at iWork 09 ... it is inexpensive, has a free 30-day trial, and really shows off what makes the Mac such a totally different and better experience. At least have a look at the tutorial videos, just to get an idea of it.
QUOTE Thanks
HBlaine

 
HBlaine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 07, 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 25
HBlaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz

HBlaine is offline
I will most definitely look at everything recommended. And I thank everyone for any recommendations I can get.

The system I picked up is pretty basic: 512MB RAM, 80GB HD. I know that's the basic requirement of RAM for Neo, which is why I shied away from iWorks, as I was seeing references to iWorks preferring a gig of memory. Maybe I'll upgrade the system later on, but right now...

And, OK, I'll admit it, I'm more familiar with OpenOffice (which I used age ago, before falling under the Dominion), so I guess I'm leaning a bit more towards the "Mac-ized" version...

(And, as a sidenote, I keep showing my age. Every time I mention the memory size, I keep wanting to say "512 K"! My, how things change...)

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

 
Chris H.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 2,596
Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Chris H. is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlaine View Post
I will most definitely look at everything recommended. And I thank everyone for any recommendations I can get.

The system I picked up is pretty basic: 512MB RAM, 80GB HD. I know that's the basic requirement of RAM for Neo, which is why I shied away from iWorks, as I was seeing references to iWorks preferring a gig of memory. Maybe I'll upgrade the system later on, but right now...

And, OK, I'll admit it, I'm more familiar with OpenOffice (which I used age ago, before falling under the Dominion), so I guess I'm leaning a bit more towards the "Mac-ized" version...

(And, as a sidenote, I keep showing my age. Every time I mention the memory size, I keep wanting to say "512 K"! My, how things change...)
Do you know the processor speed? That's another detriment into other things, like what version of Mac OS X you can run up to. (Less than 867MHz means you cannot run Leopard, forget running Snow Leopard since Snow Leopard is Intel specific).

Whoops. Now I see your specs LOL.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,191
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Yeah, I'd *definitely* invest in maxing out the RAM for that model. It will really make a huge difference in the experience.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

 
Member Since: Nov 30, 2009
Posts: 144
droflex is on a distinguished road

droflex is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlaine View Post
(And, as a sidenote, I keep showing my age. Every time I mention the memory size, I keep wanting to say "512 K"! My, how things change...)
Thanks for mentioning it actually! I'm glad I'm not the only one that keeps doing that! Old habits die hard.

cheers!

Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.
QUOTE Thanks
HBlaine

 
HBlaine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 07, 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 25
HBlaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz

HBlaine is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Yeah, I'd *definitely* invest in maxing out the RAM for that model. It will really make a huge difference in the experience.
What is the max I can shoot for on this particular model? And what's the difficulty factor in installation?

I figure I'll get it, play with it a bit, then got grab some new memory to boost it up...

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

 
Collin Bl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 07, 2009
Location: Napier NZ
Posts: 3,281
Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Collin Bl is offline
Have a look here for your model. Difficulty factor - dead easy, just lift out keyboard, as i recall.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

 
Chris H.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 2,596
Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Chris H. is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlaine View Post
What is the max I can shoot for on this particular model? And what's the difficulty factor in installation?

I figure I'll get it, play with it a bit, then got grab some new memory to boost it up...
2 GB will be plenty for you. I think.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
HBlaine

 
HBlaine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 07, 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 25
HBlaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz

HBlaine is offline
Well, I just grabbed an extra gig for the system. Checked with the folks I got the system off of, and found out that it had an empty slot. (I sort of thought it had 2 256MB , but it has only 1 512.) So, I'll start out playing with a gig and a half.

If I didn't do things half-a**ed, it just wouldn't be me!

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

 
JeremyZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 05, 2010
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 119
JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

JeremyZ is offline
If you can run iWork 09, I recommend it too. I bought it because I didn't really want to give Microsoft any of my own money.

Pages (the word processor) opens and saves in three different Word formats, as well as the super-flexible RTF.

Numbers (the spreadsheet) opens and saves in Excel format.

I haven't tried the presentation program yet. It is $80 at the Apple store, probably the same online.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
HBlaine

 
HBlaine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 07, 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 25
HBlaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz

HBlaine is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
If you can run iWork 09, I recommend it too. I bought it because I didn't really want to give Microsoft any of my own money.

Pages (the word processor) opens and saves in three different Word formats, as well as the super-flexible RTF.

Numbers (the spreadsheet) opens and saves in Excel format.

I haven't tried the presentation program yet. It is $80 at the Apple store, probably the same online.
I'd pretty much settled on NeoOffice, but I keep going back and looking over iWorks...

I'll just be glad to get my greedy little fingers on the computer, get the new memory in, and then be able to really delve into everything I want to play with!

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,191
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Well good luck ... anyone who's enough of a Who fan to have a Dalek avatar is OK by me!
QUOTE Thanks
HBlaine

 
HBlaine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 07, 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 25
HBlaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz

HBlaine is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Well good luck ... anyone who's enough of a Who fan to have a Dalek avatar is OK by me!
Dalek Supreme, at that!

At the risk of going waaaaay of subject here, I'm not really sure about the "new" series. The bits & pieces I've seen have been good, though there's just an odd feel to them.

I'm an old Tom Baker fan (with a big dash of Jon Pertwee thrown in, for good measure...).

There I go, showing my age again!

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Desktop problems... | I need help! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?