New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Microsoft Money to Quicken Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cmb13

cmb13 is on a distinguished road

I'm still using my old PC for Money. I'd like to switch this over to my Mac, but the options are not great. I thought about running parallels, but don't really want to load Windows on the Mac, and Money is being discontinued anyway.

Does anyone know if I can switch my Windows-Money to Mac OS-X-Quicken? I have thought about buying a Microsoft version of Quicken, converting Money to Quicken on the PC, then buying a Mac version of Quicken, but this seems ridiculous.

Any other good options?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The Quicken people have a page up about their product and I would imagine you'd get a better answer from them than you would from anyone here.

There are other solutions for financial management on the Mac besides Quicken. You might check into those as well -- might be a better "match" for you.
QUOTE Thanks
cmb13

Thanks; the intuit site doesn't answer this question. Do you know of any programs specifically that are well used / liked? Has to be able to import from Mic Money.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

cmb13 - where are you based? Seems that all the mac products are USA based and are more than a bit annoying for UK users.r checking account to make balloon payments on your stock options you're in luck. If you use cheques and buy shares MS Money is the one I'd go for running nder parallels, bootcamp, fusion or whatever.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb13 View Post
Thanks; the intuit site doesn't answer this question. Do you know of any programs specifically that are well used / liked? Has to be able to import from Mic Money.
The answer is YES you can export MS Money files to Quicken Mac, iBank, and many other Mac programs. I use the very handy "CheckBook" for Mac and my MS Money files exported to that program as well.

The key to exporting your data is always use the "Export to QIF" option. Since Quicken and just about any other finance program that I can think of will accept QIF imports, you should have no trouble whatsoever.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

In addition to iBank, you can also import from MMoney to Moneydance.
QUOTE Thanks
cmb13

Thanks, guys, I'll check into these options. I'm in the USA (FL).
QUOTE Thanks
JohnMak

JohnMak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 Inch Quadcore iMac - first Apple

For what its worth, I've just switched to Mac (and I don't want to load Windows on to it)
I have been a Quicken for Win user for years and have found the switch to MoneyDance pretty painless so far - still trialling.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

The only serious casualty in my switch from Win to Mac 5+ years ago was Quicken. I used it religiously in Windows -- the Mac version was, well, nothing at all like the Win version in terms of functionality and user friendliness. That combined with Intuit starting to charge banks a license fee to "fully" implement Quicken so that it would automatically download accounts, update, and reconcile (which it used to do for free), and the banks not going along (and hence losing that functionality) killed it for me.
QUOTE Thanks
BigA

BigA is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue when I bought my Macbook and following a recommendation from a mac user posting on another discussion forum, tried Crossover from codeweavers.com. i use the 2003 version of MS money and although Crossover does not officially support any versions of MS money, mine works fine, without any need for disc partitioning or a windows licence and at around 26 here in the UK is by far the cheapest option. I'm still using the 30 day trial version just to make sure there are no problems with crossover and will definitely pay up soon. There is some loss of functionality with a few shortcut keys not working and the back up to a separate disc or drive needs to be done manually but that is a small price to pay for retaining my 13 years of finance files intact and useable on my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
macsoldier

macsoldier is on a distinguished road

running parallels on your system isn't too bad at all, i find it useful for situations like this

"GET YOUR GAME FACE ON, THIS IS FOR REAL"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As the above thread pointed out, (back in Feb of this year) MS Money, Quicken for Win, and most other Windows finance programs have an export feature to QIF format. Every Mac financial program that I have looked at can import the QIF file into its respective data base. There may be some things that don't quite match the new data base but usually it's only a matter of changing a few titles and moving on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help on Mac with pop up windows | Time Machine... turn on? »