New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I bought a WD My Passport 500gb

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

Tattoo suggested I buy this brand due to the fact that he has one and didn't have any problems with it. I researched it and decided I'd give it a try so I went to Wal-Mart and bought it. I have no problems with it so far but I also read that a lot of people have problems with this brand. Hopefully I won't be one of those people.
As soon as I plugged the usb cord into the mac Time Machine ran and I decided to do a backup. I noticed that my music/movies were not part of the backup and I'm backing that up now. To get to more serious matters, I just bought my sister a netbook(well a HP Mini) for $300. I wonder if I will be able to just drag my music and movies onto her system?

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Yes. You can drag them over, though, the validity of that statement oughta be proven first, so try it.

I'm using a WD Passport 250GB for Time Machine backups on a Mac mini. So far, no problems, though I know I should disconnect after I backup the system, because I leave my mini on 24/7.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Yeah I've got a 1TB my book....it's good so far but I also had a My Book Pro 500gb crap out on me. They aren't perfect that's for sure...I have a LaCie D2 Quadra 1tb as my Time Machine backup for my iMac and use the MyBook for my AppleTV media.

I have decided as of this afternoon that I'll only plug in my WD to the ATV when I want to watch movies...leaving any external on 24/7 is bad and with my WD experience, I'll err on the side of caution.

QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

yeah i cant keep nothing on for that long anyway

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ezi(moto) View Post
Tattoo suggested I buy this brand
Nice choice. Just dont want to eat my words now haha

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have found that WD's (or at least the "My Book" series) work best when they are either laid horizontally or (better yet) used vertically but raised up a little to allow airflow underneath. Since I started doing that, no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ezi(moto) View Post
Tattoo suggested I buy this brand due to the fact that he has one and didn't have any problems with it. I researched it and decided I'd give it a try so I went to Wal-Mart and bought it. I have no problems with it so far but I also read that a lot of people have problems with this brand. Hopefully I won't be one of those people.
As soon as I plugged the usb cord into the mac Time Machine ran and I decided to do a backup. I noticed that my music/movies were not part of the backup and I'm backing that up now. To get to more serious matters, I just bought my sister a netbook(well a HP Mini) for $300. I wonder if I will be able to just drag my music and movies onto her system?

Hi..I got the exact same drive as you yesterday to bring some stuff from my windows PC to my mac and to transfer some stuff from my mac to my window PC.

Before i started, I formatted the WD drive to FAT. This was the advice from applecare as I have used external hard drives before that are not 'backward' compatible between machines unless you format to FAT
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

I bought a the exact drive last week too. Love the size of it, just a shame you need to carry around a USB cable with you too but its not too bad.

I reformatted the drive in Disk Utility to FAT32 and no joke it took 7 hours to transfer 379Gb of data. Had to use FAT32 at I'm using a Windows laptop whilst I'm waiting on this MBP coming...

Transfer speeds are rediculous even in Windows although, I'm hoping when I reformat it to HFS+ it will speed up again or it will be going back to the store to get replaced.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook for games? | Viewing updates installed on imac »