New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook for games?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

r.spitz

r.spitz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone

Hey guys I just got the new unibody macbook, 2.26, 4gb ram, 320 hdd, and am loving it. I've never really been one to play games on the pc as they all seemed to need killer systems to run decently. I decided just for poops and hahas to try need for speed most wanted, and wow it runs perfect at full graphics settings, and even works with my ps3 controller. Just wondering if anyone else is using a macbook for gaming or if I am going to overwork it.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.spitz View Post
Hey guys I just got the new unibody macbook, 2.26, 4gb ram, 320 hdd, and am loving it. I've never really been one to play games on the pc as they all seemed to need killer systems to run decently. I decided just for poops and hahas to try need for speed most wanted, and wow it runs perfect at full graphics settings, and even works with my ps3 controller. Just wondering if anyone else is using a macbook for gaming or if I am going to overwork it.
You should be fine. I mean especially if it is brand new.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Here's a raw comparison between the 9400GT (desktop version) and the 9600M GT found in the higher-end MacBook Pros:

Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com

Here's a raw comparison between the 9400GT (desktop version) and the 8800M GTX in my old gaming notebook:

Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com

You get good performance between (a) 1280x800 really isn't that high a resolution, and (b) NFS:MW is five years old.
QUOTE Thanks
r.spitz

r.spitz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone

Ok I wasnt sure, this is my first attempt gaming on a laptop and was impressed, especially the ps3 controller being plug and play. So I'm guessing I should be fine to run cod2 as well?
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

It should run. I don't know the game, and I don't typically try gaming on specs that low, so it's out of my jurisdiction. You can always tweak the settings of the game to get a framerate you are comfortable with.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

You can do some gaming on your MB but for hardcore gaming, you need a tower and Windows. =)

I have been playing Bioshock and CSS in OSX on my MBP lately and they run pretty smoothly.
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

I use my xbox360 for games.... and my PCs as computers....and my plasma TV to watch TV and movies with.

I have never owned a windows laptop PC with enough battery life to watch a movie.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help? Screen Problems | I bought a WD My Passport 500gb »