Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   .iso (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/190067-iso.html)

OnceYouGoMac 02-06-2010 04:57 PM

.iso
 
If I have an .iso on my hard drive, how do I make that into a usable application? Thanks.

CrimsonRequiem 02-06-2010 05:23 PM

Double click to mount it, or burn it to a disk with Disk Utility.

vansmith 02-06-2010 06:08 PM

isos aren't applications, they are images. You mount them much like you would an dmg. What application would this be?

CrimsonRequiem 02-06-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 995213)
isos aren't applications, they are images. You mount them much like you would an dmg. What application would this be?

It's probably better if we didn't ask. >_<"

bluefox9er 02-07-2010 06:34 AM

lol !

DarkestRitual 02-07-2010 12:31 PM

Of course it's some sort of legal application. Don't ask and you won't get burned. Just help out with the carefully worded questions. :)

Plus, who knows, it could be an Ubuntu iso.

dtravis7 02-07-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkestRitual (Post 995600)
Of course it's some sort of legal application. Don't ask and you won't get burned. Just help out with the carefully worded questions. :)

Plus, who knows, it could be an Ubuntu iso.

Maybe it's Google Chrome OS in that ISO! :D

OnceYouGoMac 02-07-2010 03:29 PM

Ok so, if I double click the .iso icon, do I need to do anything else to install it on my hard disk, or will it "just work? lol And yes, of course it is legal. I am serious about that.

clayneal 02-07-2010 03:37 PM

Have you even attempted a google search ? Come on just try to help yourself !

Clay

cwa107 02-07-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac (Post 995690)
Ok so, if I double click the .iso icon, do I need to do anything else to install it on my hard disk, or will it "just work? lol And yes, of course it is legal. I am serious about that.

An ISO is a disk image. Think of it like inserting a real disc into your Superdrive. Double-clicking on it doesn't install anything, it simply mounts the disc. There may very well be an application on the disc that can be installed, but the simple act of mounting it doesn't install anything.

OnceYouGoMac 02-07-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayneal (Post 995701)
Have you even attempted a google search ? Come on just try to help yourself !

Clay

Sorry. The reason I come here is because people know their stuff, and I do not have to sort through google search after search in the hopes of sorting through it all to find information. I thought that is what forums were for. Sorry if I offended anyone. See, I am new, and I do not know what "mount" means, for example. I am not exactly sure what a "disk image" is, and a wikipedia definition does not help me. I was asking for instructions.

cwa107 02-07-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac (Post 995707)
Sorry. The reason I come here is because people know their stuff, and I do not have to sort through google search after search in the hopes of sorting through it all to find information. I thought that is what forums were for. Sorry if I offended anyone. See, I am new, and I do not know what "mount" means, for example. I am not exactly sure what a "disk image" is, and a wikipedia definition does not help me. I was asking for instructions.

A disc image is a file that has been made of a real disc. Think of it as a disc that has been compressed into one big file. When you "mount" the disk image, it's like inserting the virtual disc into a drive.

So, again you're not installing anything, you're merely inserting the disc. It may very well have contents that can be installed on your system, such as a program, but not necessarily. It can hold anything that a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM can.

clayneal 02-07-2010 03:53 PM

Oh no offense was taken...My point was that since you are skirting the issue of what you had on the .iso that you were probably not going to get us to help much more then was already done when CR answered your question some 26 minutes after you asked it yesterday !

OnceYouGoMac 02-07-2010 03:55 PM

Why does what is on the .iso matter if I am just asking a technical question? I said it is not illegal. If that is good enough, I will just leave this thread. Sorry for the trouble.

cwa107 02-07-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac (Post 995720)
Why does what is on the .iso matter if I am just asking a technical question? I said it is not illegal. If that is good enough, I will just leave this thread. Sorry for the trouble.

It only matters because we can't get into much detail as to the answer to the second part of your question of "how do I install it?". As I said, a disk image, much like a real CD or DVD, can contain just about anything. If it's a movie, audio CD, operating system, or a single application, it can be handled or installed in many different ways.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.