New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mounting an External Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cranfordrw

cranfordrw is on a distinguished road

I just purchased an external hard drive that says its Mac compatible. I have it connected to my mac via USB. I can see the drive in Disc Utility, but it will not mount, verify, repair, or anything. I am a relatively new mac user and I'm using 10.4.11.

Its trying to verify some MS-DOS thing that came on the hard drive. I know this isn't right.

I can usually figure this stuff out, but this one has me stumped.

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Who is the maker of the hard drive? If Disk Utility can see the drive but refuses to verify or repair it, it may be formatted as NTFS or it may be a bare drive with no format. If it's a bare drive it will have to be formatted first before it will mount.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cranfordrw

it is a cirago 750G

it won't erase, repair, verify, or anything. It has a MS-DOS volume on it and it wont erase that?

I'm so confused
QUOTE Thanks
cranfordrw

it wont format either...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If Disk Utility refuses to erase the drive and the drive has a MS-DOS partition on it, the drive may be defective. The MS-DOS partition is very likely a large FAT-32 partition which is unusual. I would have thought a drive that large would have come formatted as NTFS from the factory.

Where did you buy the drive at? If you can return it, buy a different brand of drive. I don't know anything about Cirago drives but it looks like they're not rated very well. Buy a Western Digital, Seagate, or another popular brand that is known to work with OS X.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cranfordrw

thanks for your help. i bought it on amazon. this is so ridiculous. do you think it would help if i connected it to a PC first?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Mail doest want to talk to Gmail. Any ideas? | iphone users...are you happy with the service? »