New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help! Macbook or Macbook Pro? (13'')

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jack24

jack24 is on a distinguished road

Priorities:

1: The way HD video looks on screen (Smoothness, Brightness, Clarity)
2: Price (PC Basically died. I don't want to buy another one and my budget is very limited. However, I need to know if the extra 200 bucks on a pro is worth it)
3: Durability and Lifespan
4: Size and weight (preferably super light, but not crucial)
5: Exterior Styling

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

1. They have the same screen.

2. Price is $200 more for the Pro. I bought a refurbished pro with the same specs. for the same price as a new Macbook

3. Durability and lifespan should be the same. Maybe a bit longer with the Pro, since it can use the aluminum case as a heatsink.

4. Size and weight are the same; the Pro is maybe a tiny bit slimmer.

5. This is a matter of taste. Do you prefer white plastic or bead blasted aluminum?

I went with the Pro mostly because it has a backlit keyboard and firewire jack and the basic Macbook doesn't.

Here's the refurbished Macbook page:
MacBook Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)

A refurbished, new style Macbook is $850, when they're in stock.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Ahh...the old MacBook vs. MacBook Pro "Which should I buy" thread!

Maybe we should group these into one thread like the official "I spilled liquid on my laptop" thread!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

If you use your notebook in the dark a lot, get the MBP.

The backlit keyboard is worth the 200 dollars. The MBP is also slightly lighter.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I'd hold out for a refurb 13" MBP on the Apple site. It's odd that there aren't any at the moment, but if you keep checking, they'll show up. If you keep checking, you'll find a MBP for close to the regular price of a MB.
QUOTE Thanks
SimeonAS89

SimeonAS89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" 2.3ghz Core i5 MBP, 2G 8gb iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S

I'm also having the same debate at the moment. I keep thinking MB, but I also love the idea of having a backlit keyboard and also the ability to expand the RAM up to 8GB on the MBP. Hmmm....decisions decisions.
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

Tbone is on a distinguished road

I just saw they have the refurb 13"MBP back up at the apple store.

I'm in the same situation, have to decide between the MB and MBP. Sitting here typing this in poor light makes me want the backlit keyboard and the firewire port is necessary for my video camera so I suppose my decision is easy.

There is lots of talk about the MBP updates coming and I don't know wether to wait and see what comes out. It might not effect the 13" units anyhow but we won't know for sure until they come out.

The only downside to the MBP is that the hd is only 160gb where the MB is 250gb...but the hd can be upgraded later.

I plan to wait until next month and if there are no updates anounced I'll buy the current model 13" MBP
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Ahh...the old MacBook vs. MacBook Pro "Which should I buy" thread!

Maybe we should group these into one thread like the official "I spilled liquid on my laptop" thread!
Lets beat the dead horse some more! Oh wait is horse carcass still even there?

It probably needs it's own thread that is stickied. Even then we will probably still get post on this topic.

Yes the 200 dollar is worth it. If you care about cosmetic looks, and need the additional hardware. Such as SD, Firewire, Back lit keyboard, audio in, and audio out.

If you want to save money then just get a refurbished MBP. They are practically brand new and come with the same warranty as a new machine.

A MB has practically the same specifications as the lower end MBPs.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Lets beat the dead horse some more! Oh wait is horse carcass still even there?

It probably needs it's own thread that is stickied. Even then we will probably still get post on this topic.

Yes the 200 dollar is worth it. If you care about cosmetic looks, and need the additional hardware. Such as SD, Firewire, Back lit keyboard, audio in, and audio out.

If you want to save money then just get a refurbished MBP. They are practically brand new and come with the same warranty as a new machine.

A MB has practically the same specifications as the lower end MBPs.
Couldn't agree more!

Go with the MBP IF you can truly afford the extra $200. However, hardware wise I don't think you'll need anything more than a macbook. By the sounds of it you won't even push that machine to half it's limits. But for so little the MBP simply gives so many more advantages.

**** That's Good Beer! - The Orignal Beer Bloggin' *******
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pixresizer For Mac? | Safari help for new switcher. »