Apple Mail doest want to talk to Gmail. Any ideas?
    Hi guys,

Not getting very far here.

I goto, Mail > Preferences > New account/add account etc and fill out the correct info on the first page

IE

FULL NAME: - My Name (guessing this is for display purposes only so not matter really)
    USER NAME:- Is my name followed by my "@gmail.com" but I have even tried "@googlemail.com"
    PASSWORD:- Is the exact same one I used to log into Gmail via safari so I know for certain all the above info is correct.

No matter what I do I get the same message:-

Logging in to the Gmail IMAP server “imap.gmail.com” failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click Continue. If the information isn’t correct, you cannot receive messages.

I realise the above states IMAP and Gmail is actually POP. So somehow even thought this page doesn't even work Apple Mail lets me go to the next page re incoming server.

INCOMING SERVER:-

Account Type:- POP
    Description:- Gmail
    Incoming Mail Server:- pop.gmail.com
    Username :- My name, Also tried My name followed by "@gmail.com" and "@googlemail.com"
    Password:- Same old password that works for Gmail via safari and my iPhone

When I press Continue it takes around 5 minutes to move forward and then states

Logging into the Gmail POP server failed. Check you user name and password etc etc

Please can anyone help as switching so far has been plain sailing. I cant understand what Im doing wrong here.

is a censored word on here??

Specs:
    Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
    It looks like you did the right way, are you following the instructs on google's site? They have it specifically for Mail also. Also check that you have enabled POP at the gmail site also.

Apple Mail 3.0 - Gmail Help on this page it also has a link to tell you how to enable pop.

BTW my server setting is pop.gmail.com and not imap.gmail.com, so maybe erase that account and start over using the instructs at google.

Mail will allow you to input anything as an outgoing server. It's when it tries to connect that it will give you a response. It looks like you have the incorrect Outgoing server info. Mine is smtp.gmail.com, to check that there is a drop down where you set the incoming and click on edit smtp server list.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Hi guys,

Not getting very far here.

I goto, Mail > Preferences > New account/add account etc and fill out the correct info on the first page
    invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 13"
    I would also suggest checking the GMAIL settings and making sure that POP is enabled.

I use IMAP for mines, and Mail picked up all the details automatically.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9

@ Aqua. Hi mate, thanks for that link. Going to work through it now. My oncoming server is set to pop like yours. I seem to have you confused also as I didn't get as far as outgoing settings. If I get anywhere with the link ill be sure to thank you.

@ Chris. THanks, got me baffled

Na, both POP and IMAP have been enabled for over a year.

Anyone else? I mean there not much to go wrong here, just input information correctly which I have.....

Im sorry but I cant offer any answers to why but its working now.

I thought these baffling days were left behind with windows. Thanks for trying to help guys. It is appreciated.

Thread Information