Thread: iPhone

iPhone

iPhone
    I am contemplating getting an iPhone, one problem though, I have mac book pro for personal use, iTunes, iPhoto etc. but use PC for work.
    I want to sync iTunes from mac but then also use the functionality of outlook calendar (not too worried about email) from PC.
    Can this be done?

iPhone

Specs:
    13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
    Unfortunately not. You can only sync to one computer.

iPhone

OK, Thanks.

Then if I am to keep a mac running for personal use including iTunes, is it possible then to transfer my Music, photos etc that I want on the iPhone onto my work PC? Can I have my iTunes account authorized on 2 different formats? essentially using the PC for the iPhone but still able to use my MacBook for all other needs including iTunes - otherwise there is no point in having an iPhone at all, I may just keep ipod and blackberry, this is a shame because I enjoy the interface offered on the apple products.

iPhone
    Specs:
    | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
    You can't take media off the iPhone onto other hardware, I don't think....not without perhaps a 3rd party app..

iPhone
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    iTunes does not care if some of the machines you authorize are Mac and some are PCs -- makes no difference to them.

So yes, you can authorise your new Mac, transfer your purchased stuff from one machine to another (using any number of methods) and carry on.

iPhone
    Specs:
    VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    iTunes does not care if some of the machines you authorize are Mac and some are PCs -- makes no difference to them.

So yes, you can authorise your new Mac, transfer your purchased stuff from one machine to another (using any number of methods) and carry on.
    wouldn't it just erase the stuff on it...i use to plug my touch (1st Gen when I still had it) in to my pc and then plug it into another authorized machine and it erased everything on mine. wonder if I had a hardware issue
    GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook

iPhone
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I should probably clarify what I was talking about to avoid confusion.

I'm not answering the OP's original question -- that was answered by Prolanman and I'm not in any way contradicting him.

What I'm saying is that if you have iTunes purchased content on more than one computer, you are allowed to "unify" that content on authorised computers, and you can transfer purchased iTunes content from one machine to another by any method you like (such as a USB thumb drive). There's also a new feature in iTunes called "home sharing" that pretty much does this for you.

What I'm talking about makes the assumption that you have some purchased content on computer "A" and some on computer "B" and would like to bring all that stuff together. If the only place your content exists is on the iPhone/iPod, my first question would be "why" since that's not how things are supposed to work.

You can't sync an iPod to more than one computer. But you CAN move purchases around to different computers on your network. That's something different.

iPhone
    Specs:
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    Couldn't the OP sync his iPhone with his Mac and then use Mobile Me to sync with his PC calendar wirelessly?

iPhone
    Specs:
    13" MacBook Pro 4gb memory 250 HD
    I use Mobileme to sync my calendars and contacts between PC, Mac and iPhone and it works flawlessly. Email sync is great too so I don't have to delete the same email from different devices, delete it on one and it deletes all all.
    Twitter - simplyiphonenow

iPhone

ellenm, thanks for replying, do you use microsoft Outlook on your PC for calendar, email and contacts?

Thanks for all the replies guys, slowly coming around to understanding what I need to do.

iPhone
    Specs:
    13" MacBook Pro 4gb memory 250 HD
    Quote Originally Posted by ian.mackers View Post
    ellenm, thanks for replying, do you use microsoft Outlook on your PC for calendar, email and contacts?

Thanks for all the replies guys, slowly coming around to understanding what I need to do.
    Yes, I use Outlook 2010 on my PC (used to be 2007) and MobileMe works great. Currently I use Postbox for mail and Busycal for my calendar on my MacBook Pro and everything syncs fine there too.

You can get a 60 day free trial so it definitely is worth checking out.

Good luck!
    Twitter - simplyiphonenow

Thread Information