New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Windows Mail (NOT Outlook) to Mac Mail - Help please!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

falconfan

falconfan is on a distinguished road

I am a 1 week old Mac baby. In a previous life I was pretty dang proficient on a PC.

Is there a SIMPLE, straight-forward way of transferring over my contacts (address book) from Windows Mail, as well as my old emails, into Mac mail? I've found a couple of clunky, unclear, or incomplete suggestions (including Thunderbird...which I tried with no success). Also, why in the world doesn't Apple support this??? "Want a Mac??? Sure, moving EVERYTHING over is super easy and fast!!!" should be their attitude. Not that it CAN'T be done, but it certainly isn't straight forward.

Many, many thanks in advance. Blue skies-
Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Is this what you are looking for ?
Apple - Support - Switch 101 - The Great Migration

its super easy and fast !

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
falconfan

Working on this method, thanks. Called my ISP (Comcast) and they don't support IMAP accounts...so as usual, nothing is easy for me! I am still of the opinion that Apple should provide an app that you just dump your folders and contacts into and they are converted.
Blue skies-
Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
falconfan

Got the MobileMe account...now what?
QUOTE Thanks
falconfan

I may be onto something. Got MobileMe installed on both my Vista PC and my Mac. The syncing option on the PC actually gives Windows Mail Contacts as an option. This is the FIRST time I've seen that!
QUOTE Thanks
falconfan

Got the contacts migrated!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now on to slay the big, ugly dragon of moving my emails. Feel free to dive in here to keep me from pulling out any more hair!
Grins-
Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

out of curiousity..

when you add your account to Mail, doesn't it automatically move all your emails across?

i entered my aol account to Mail and Mail automatically transfered all my emails, just had to go and make a cup of tea!

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks
ron4mac

ron4mac will become famous soon enough

Setup your .me mail in you PC mail client (as IMAP), then copy the mails from your Windows mail to the .me account.
QUOTE Thanks
falconfan

Got my .me mail account set up in my PC mail client (as an IMAP)...but can't figure out how to copy the mail folders or individual email to the .me account. I am soooo close, someone please get me the rest of the way!
Many thanks-
Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
ron4mac

ron4mac will become famous soon enough

Have you tried just dragging? Copy and Paste? Selecting some and then use some menu command to move/copy to a different mailbox?
QUOTE Thanks
falconfan

Tried everything I know. I have finally found a way to do it via VERY long hand: Creating a mail box in my Mac mail; Opening up each local folder (on my PC) and dragging the individual emails from that folder into my MobileMe Inbox; opening the MobileMe Inbox on the Mac, then dragging them to the afore-mentioned newly created folder. It will NOT let me drag in an entire folder. I have THOUSANDS of mails in scores of folders. This IS getting it done, but it is very time & labor intensive. Suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe software trial downloads... | New switcher: iMac vs MacBook »