New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iTunes - confusing to sync with iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

Monkeywhistle, I have no problem with the way you documented your problem. Thanks for the thoughtful post. I have similar issues with iTunes, and as we switch to more Apple products at our place, it is becoming more important to sort it out. Your post got me thinking again about the sync options, which still puzzle me.
QUOTE Thanks
zlyLuki

zlyLuki is on a distinguished road

In case nobody figured it out yet... here is the workaround this issue. I just read this post because I had the same issue with syncing using iTunes. After playing around with the software, I figured that the option in the summary screen that says 'sync only check songs and videos' overrides any options you might check under the music tab. That means that if you want to just sync selected or checked songs but do not want to worry about any genres or artists or so on, you need to check 'sync entire library' under music tab and 'sync only checked songs' option under summary tab. If you want to exclude certain genres from this selection you would have to play around with the other options under music tab. But to make things easy for yourself, just keep in mind that the option to sync only selected/checked songs under summary tab will be applied to what you select in music tab. You can think of this kind of like a filter with layers... I hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.10.1; iPad Mini iOS 8.1.2;iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywhistle View Post
Are any of you having trouble figuring out exactly how to sync your music from iTunes into your iPhone, and what all of the available syncing options mean? I have tried every scenario in the sync menu, none of which give me the results that I am looking for. I even called Apple concerning this, and they said that although they understood my frustration, that that is just how it is.
Like others I haven't either time or inclination to read it all but you may find my experience useful, see link below.

Sync failure
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm99 View Post
I'm VERY techy and I'm not new to iTunes. It's poor design, plain and simple. The problem with Apple is that they won't change things that don't work. I feel that they think they're good at everything, when they're not.
I disagree with this completely, and I think the fact that you're "VERY techy" is exactly the root of the problem. You, like a lot of PC switchers, tend to OVERthink these things and make them more complicated than they actually are, because you are baffled by the zen-like approach Apple tends to take. It's not bad design*, it's a different approach you haven't wrapped your head around (in most cases).

*I'm not saying iTunes is not without flaws and has suffered some bloat over the years. I grant you those things.

It's really pretty simple: iTunes is the master library. The iOS devices are subsets of those libraries. When the iOS device is connected, click on the "Music" tab of that device and pick what subset of your library you'd like to have go on the device. Then it does that.

That's it. You're done.

If you have some very specific needs that the "Music" tabs options don't quite cover for you, create a playlist (or Smart Playlist) in iTunes, then use the "Music" tab and have your device sync to that playlist.

Again, that's it. You're done.
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

I have found peace with iTunes. Like chas says, I gave in and do pretty much what iTunes wants me to do. Works for me now. I've learned that iTunes gives me all the control I need over syncing various types of information and media, while usefully automating many functions. Like Palm's syncing and unlike Windows ActiveSync, I can see what's going on under the hood, with a lot more useful functionality than either. But there certainly is a learning curve.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
Champagnedrinke

Champagnedrinke is on a distinguished road

I've also found iTunes to be confusing; and I'd agree with most of what the original post said.

The particular difficulty I have (other than un-nerving messages about everything getting deleted that's on the iPod) is that if I've downloaded things straight over wifi to the iPod, then it doesn't appear to be possible to get it into iTunes without having to resort to 3rd party software, which you shouldn't have to.

Yes, if you use it exactly as they intend, and you create playlists etc., it can work; but as with others here, I've not found it as intuitive as it could be (mind you, the Sony software for a Sony MP3 player I have is just as odd in its own way - but at least the Sony MP3 player allows me to use Windows Explorer to drag files around )
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagnedrinke View Post
if I've downloaded things straight over wifi to the iPod, then it doesn't appear to be possible to get it into iTunes without having to resort to 3rd party software, which you shouldn't have to.
I'm confused by this since it runs completely contrary to my experience. Can you give us an example of what you're talking about here?
QUOTE Thanks
AliOop

AliOop will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro.

Glad this post was revived. I'm with the OP. iTunes just screws with my mind. I read Apple started iTunes as a music/photo manager. Then it grew from there to a do all program. From upgrades and installs of everything from apps to whatever.

I find it to be bulky and cumbersome. Just can't get the hang of it. I'm having my young son come over and give me some lessions.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliOop View Post
Glad this post was revived. I'm with the OP. iTunes just screws with my mind. I read Apple started iTunes as a music/photo manager. Then it grew from there to a do all program. From upgrades and installs of everything from apps to whatever.

I find it to be bulky and cumbersome. Just can't get the hang of it. I'm having my young son come over and give me some lessions.
You've gotten some pretty bad info there. iTunes doesn't manage photos at all (for a start), doesn't have anything to do with upgrades or installs.

iTunes is the sync point for your media (and iOS apps) to your iOS devices. It also manages your music, and offers a storefront for (primarily) music, audiobooks and movies/TV.

The only other thing it really does is sync (and in some cases store) files you want to put on your iOS devices. Things that aren't going on your iOS devices aren't managed in iTunes.

I'm not saying iTunes isn't a bit overstretched with all that it offers: I think that's true. But so far, the advantages of having a central point to manage syncing between the Mac and iOS has outweighed the disadvantages.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clip art | multiple desktops? »