New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Safari Search While Typing plugin?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jcksnps4

jcksnps4 is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

Not sure where to put this exactly, but does anyone know of a Safari plugin that activates the Find On Page (cmd+f) feature upon typing text (like the Firefox option)?

TYIA
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

I don't know if this is close enough to what your looking for to help you or not. I use a java bookmarklet to Highlight specified search terms on web pages. Here is the java script. Just create a dummy bookmark in your bookmark bar, right click it, and replace the URL with the java in the address section. Name it as you wish.

javascriptfunction(){var%20count=0,%20text,%20dv ;text=prompt(%22Search%20phrase:%22,%20%22%22);if( text==null%20||%20text.length==0)return;dv=documen t.defaultView;function%20searchWithinNode(node,%20 te,%20len){var%20pos,%20skip,%20spannode,%20middle bit,%20endbit,%20middleclone;skip=0;if(%20node.nod eType==3%20){pos=node.data.toUpperCase().indexOf(t e);if(pos%3E=0){spannode=document.createElement(%2 2SPAN%22);spannode.style.backgroundColor=%22yellow %22;middlebit=node.splitText(pos);endbit=middlebit .splitText(len);middleclone=middlebit.cloneNode(tr ue);spannode.appendChild(middleclone);middlebit.pa rentNode.replaceChild(spannode,middlebit);++count; skip=1;}}else%20if(%20node.nodeType==1&&%20node.ch ildNodes%20&&%20node.tagName.toUpperCase()!=%22SCR IPT%22%20&&%20node.tagName.toUpperCase!=%22STYLE%2 2){for%20(var%20child=0;%20child%20%3C%20node.chil dNodes.length;%20++child){child=child+searchWithin Node(node.childNodes[child],%20te,%20len);}}return%20skip;}window.status=%22S earching%20for%20'%22+text+%22'...%22;searchWithin Node(document.body,%20text.toUpperCase(),%20text.l ength);window.status=%22Found%20%22+count+%22%20oc currence%22+(count==1?%22%22:%22s%22)+%22%20of%20' %22+text+%22'.%22;})();

Oops! Replace the frowning face with the characters "" without the quotes.

Darn! It did it again. The characters are :&( without the & between them.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Just wondering, why do you need to have that functionality? I'm trying to think of a practical use to have such a plug-in, but I fail to see one. Could you describe the usefulness the plug-in would serve?

QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

Why wouldn't you use the find feature? It does work a little different, but I think it's the same keys to activate it on Safari as it is in Firefox...

Oops Sorry, guess I didn't read your question properly.

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail Inbox Purging | Hello! I am new here. »