New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iphone users...are you happy with the service?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spag_187

Spag_187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" ibook G4 1.42GHz PowerPC, 60GB HDD, 1.5GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8

Hey guys, I have been thinking of getting the iphone for a few days now. I like the idea of "compatibility" with my Mac. However, I haven't heard a whole lot of good reviews regarding AT&T's 3G service and coverage. I live in So Cal, I do not have a land line (really, what's the point these days). I currently have Verizon and the new Droid. I have to say the service has been great! Just though I'd ask around in here, assuming a great majority of you are iphone owners. Are you happy with your service/coverage from AT&T?

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I don't have an iPhone exactly because it's only on AT&T. Not every time, but too many times when I send a photo to an iPhone user, it arrives the next day or hours later. This has never happened when sending photos to any other phone. Many places get fine reception, but friends tell me that in many areas of SF and NY and other places, the reception is terrible. I have never had an issue with Verizon anywhere I've traveled. If you live in a place that has good AT&T service and you don't plan on leaving the area at all, I guess I'd say go for the iPhone. If you travel, I'd say at least get a prepaid phone on another carrier just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

I get great service in the Washington, DC metro area. I dropped Verizon because they had lousy service everywhere I went, whereas AT&T has great coverage in those same places.

There is no one answer to your question. It depends on where you are and how well the infrastructure is populated on the network in mind.
QUOTE Thanks
fade

Spag, I cant answer about the iphone because I've never had one... been on Verizon for 10 years. If you don't mind me going off topic a bit. Do you connect the droid to your mac? and if so, do they play well together?
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

The connection between the two has been a pretty decent experience. I downloaded a program called "DoubleTwist" which allows the Mac to sync with the android OS. However, this application is mostly used for media (photo's, music). It's a simple drag-n-drop app. Syncing the address book/contacts as well as Outlook can be done through google.

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I'm in Dallas, personally I LOVE the phone, and I hate AT&T. Service is subpar to say the least, and the way they treat their customers in my opinion is horrific. If they didn't have the iPhone I would personally never think of joining them.

**** That's Good Beer! - The Orignal Beer Bloggin' *******
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Service for me with the first iPhone and the 3G iPhone was great in Peoria and Bloomington Illinois. It's terrible here in Minneapolis Minnesota. Lot's of dropped calls and spotty 3G bandwidth, even though the whole city is a big 3G spot according to AT&T's coverage map.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

I'm hearing rumors of Verizon and Apple working on a 4G iphone. That would be awesome. I'm so nervous about making the switch to AT&T. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope to see the iphone become a new addition to Verizon's line-up.

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
fridayxiii

fridayxiii is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Specs: 13" white MacBook | 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM |250GB HDD

It's cool that you're considering the switch. I'd Google for "AT&T coverage in <your city here>", or something like that. Or check some of the iPhone forums & post your question there.

I live in the Tampa Bay area, and have great AT&T coverage for voice, nothing but 3G service for data. But, I travel to see family in SE Ohio, maybe 45 minutes outside Columbus, and get super slow Edge, and piddling signal strength. As I spend 95% of my time in or around Tampa Bay, I'm good to go. But if I did lots of traveling or lived elsewhere it'd definitely be an issue for me.

I haven't used AT&T's customer service much (only been a cust. since July), so I can't comment on that facet of your experience.

Good luck, hope you turn up the right answers, for the iPhone - Mac combo is indeed outstanding.

Other Apples: 8gb 4th gen iPod Nano | 16GB black iPhone 3GS
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Exactly what part of SoCal are you in? I'm in Orange County and AT&T service is great here.

However, since you already have a great phone and great service, why would you want to switch? Not counting the sync features, there's really nothing better about the iPhone compared to the Droid, they're both fantastic phones.

As for the 4G rumors, it's going to be a long time before you can expect an LTE iPhone. There is speculation of a Verizon iPhone released over the summer, but it's more wishful thinking than anything. The Droid is a very capable phone, stick with it and Verizon. If an iPhone comes out on Verizon this summer and you really want it, then go for it, but don't switch to AT&T just so that you can get slightly better sync options.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
It's terrible here in Minneapolis Minnesota. Lot's of dropped calls and spotty 3G bandwidth, even though the whole city is a big 3G spot according to AT&T's coverage map.
I can confirm Minneapolis area sucks. Love the phone though
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Exactly what part of SoCal are you in? I'm in Orange County and AT&T service is great here.

However, since you already have a great phone and great service, why would you want to switch? Not counting the sync features, there's really nothing better about the iPhone compared to the Droid, they're both fantastic phones.

As for the 4G rumors, it's going to be a long time before you can expect an LTE iPhone. There is speculation of a Verizon iPhone released over the summer, but it's more wishful thinking than anything. The Droid is a very capable phone, stick with it and Verizon. If an iPhone comes out on Verizon this summer and you really want it, then go for it, but don't switch to AT&T just so that you can get slightly better sync options.

I think your right on this one. I'm just all excited about the recent switch to Mac and all I've got is Apple, Apple, Apple on the brain. So far, the Droid has been an excellent devise. Thanks for all your input guys!

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
MacJenny

MacJenny is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerich View Post
I get great service in the Washington, DC metro area. I dropped Verizon because they had lousy service everywhere I went, whereas AT&T has great coverage in those same places.

There is no one answer to your question. It depends on where you are and how well the infrastructure is populated on the network in mind.
On the flip side of the coin, I also live in the DC metro area and get lousy coverage with AT&T, whereas, when I had Verizon, I had fantastic coverage. Both of my roommates have the same issues I do with their iPhones as well.

15" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro, 32gb White iPhone 3GS, 160gb iPod
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

I don't have an iPhone, but for what it's worth, I have two friends and two family members who have them.

My two friends both complain about the reception, but they have determined that it is not AT&T but Apple's fault. They say that even when they have full signal strength, the audio is not clear. Seems like it is a better mini computer than it is a phone.

I talk to my sister on hers all the time, and she is cutting in and out every time too.

My one buddy finally had his iPhone lock up on him after he tried updating an App, and got rid of it in favor of a Motorola Droid, which he says is a much better phone, but with nowhere near the apps of the iPhone.

I used to be pretty hot for an iPhone, but I think I'll hold off and maybe just stick with a basic phone and maybe get an iPad when that time comes.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
MacJenny

MacJenny is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,

I actually wonder if it's the 3G service compatibility. When I turn off 3G and switch to Edge, my call quality is stellar. This leads me to believe it's not necessarily the phone, but maybe an issue with the phone and 3G together? I have to be honest, AT&T's 3G is fast, when you can use it. And I have not heard of AT&T Blackberry users having the same problems.

However, I'm married to my iPhone, so I just put up with it.

15" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro, 32gb White iPhone 3GS, 160gb iPod
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mounting an External Hard Drive | How do I transfer all my files/music/video on my XP laptop to my iMac? »