New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I delete things but my my memory used doesn't change.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Madskillz65

Madskillz65 is on a distinguished road

I was watching district 9, and it was roughly 700 Mb and my memory left on my Mac was at 276.26 GB.... then after i was done with it I deleted the movie and my amount of memory left stayed exactly the same.

And yes, I emptied by garbage bin.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Ok, terminology strikes again...

Files do not consume "memory" they consume hard drive space. Where do you see the 276.26 GB displayed? (The available space is displayed along the bottom of any Finder Window - in case you need the correct term for that.)

Not sure where you are, or if you are a recent Mac convert from windows, but you discard things by putting them in the Trash. (Windows calls the similar location the Recycle Bin, at least here in the U.S.) I'm guessing you're in Great Britiain.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Ok, terminology strikes again...

Files do not consume "memory" they consume hard drive space.
Sad...very sad!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Can anyone answer the poor guy's question?

P.S. a hard drive is Read Only Memory (ROM), so it is memory.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

It is not memory it is hard drive space and if you do a reboot you may see a difference.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
No it's not. An IC with permanent storage is a ROM.

Read-only memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Then why can you write to the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Quote:
Sure, given additional information....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Where do you see the 276.26 GB displayed? (The available space is displayed along the bottom of any Finder Window - in case you need the correct term for that.)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Looks like the guy simply hit delete without actually emptying the Trash.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Looks like the guy simply hit delete without actually emptying the Trash.
That would probably be a very likely possibility. Deleting a 700 meg file (and emptying the trash) would certainly make a difference in the amount of hard drive capacity used.

Although the OP did mention that they did empty the "trash bin"...so my only other guess is...the OP could have two hard drives...and didn't check the correct drive where this 700 meg file was stored & deleted from.

Maybe the OP will "revisit" and let us know for sure.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Madskillz65

Madskillz65 is on a distinguished road

Okay I'm back. Yes, I did empty the "Trash." No, I don't have to HDD's. Yes, I am reffering to the space at the bottom of the "Finder"

I did it again and this time it deleted some, but only about half of the space I was using.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Sorry that I got ROM wrong. What on a modern Mac then, is ROM? I learned about RAM and ROM in the 8th grade lol and do not remember I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

ROM is a non-rewriteable CD. That's about it. Most systems don't use ROM anymore, since things are always changing. You want to be able to rewrite things like firmware and system files as demand changes.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
... if you do a reboot you may see a difference.
Did you? (And, did you?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madskillz65 View Post
Yes, I did empty the "Trash." No, I don't have to HDD's. Yes, I am reffering to the space at the bottom of the "Finder".
Second "did you" above is about the number at the bottom of the Finder Window. And, when you empty the Trash, do you open the Trash Finder Window and see if it shows 0 Items?

If no, then yes, then try repairing permissions with Disk Utility on your OS installation disc. You have to boot from the disc, not your hard drive. (Restarrt and hold down the 'C' key until the logo appears.) After doing that, check the amount of space.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madskillz65 View Post
Okay I'm back. Yes, I did empty the "Trash." No, I don't have to HDD's. Yes, I am reffering to the space at the bottom of the "Finder"

I did it again and this time it deleted some, but only about half of the space I was using.
Maybe open finder, select OSX listed under "devices" and then select "size". A 700mb file should be listed at, or very near the top of that column I would think.

One other thing to try that only takes a couple seconds is to type the file or partial file name (example: "district") into "spotlight" (top right corner of screen) and see if anything comes up.

You may have deleted a reference to the file (like an icon or something) but not the "main" 700mb file.

Also, if the file you downloaded was a RAR or zip file that you expanded the original RAR or zip file might still be on the hard drive even if you did actually delete the "playable" movie file.

Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hello! I am new here. | iTunes - can't download certain video podcasts anymore »