New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Problem with Quick Look

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timeferret

timeferret is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8 2.66GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 27"

I'm having problems viewing with Quick Look in the Finder.

If I click on a folder, press the spacebar -- it merely displays an icon image.

Should I download a plugin?

I am using Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.2

Any suggestions anyone?

“You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.”
Homer Simpson
QUOTE Thanks
SyMac

SyMac is on a distinguished road

This is how I thought it was supposed to go. I can't see folders in Quick Look either. Maybe someone knows more.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

My understanding is that if want to see what is in a file then selecting it and hitting space bar gives a preview of that file. Displaying folder contents can be selected here;

Click for full size

The icon on the right gives Cover flow and thumbnails of files in that folder.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeferret View Post
I'm having problems viewing with Quick Look in the Finder.

If I click on a folder, press the spacebar -- it merely displays an icon image.

Should I download a plugin?

I am using Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.2

Any suggestions anyone?
If you select a Folder it will only display an image of a "Folder" in the "quick look" window when you have "quick look" open because there is nothing to look at yet until you go "into" the folder.

If you go "into" the folder, and have the icon selected on the left of the image that Collin posted, it will show you thumbnails of your files in the original window. You can change the size of these thumbnails using the view options.

If you select on one of those files it will show you an enlarged image of the file in the "quick look" window if you have "quick look" selected. If the file is a video, it will begin playing in the quick look window.

You can use the down and up arrow keys to rapidly scroll through the files and it will display/play them in the quick look window.

Hope that helps a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finder quick look.jpg (208.7 KB, 4 views)

Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.
QUOTE Thanks
timeferret

timeferret is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8 2.66GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 27"

Thanks folks.
Sussed it out now. I had the understanding that if we clicked on a folder and spacebar we could view the contents.

“You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.”
Homer Simpson
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can view the contents of a folder using QuickLook (sort of). You can enable QL's "X-ray" folders feature. See here for more info. To relaunch the Finder after executing the defaults command, simply type "killall Finder" (without the quotes) and press enter in the Terminal.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with my wireless mouse | Purchasing songs and syncing with iPhone/ iMac. »