Macbook air's external superdrive not working with macbook pro
    I have a macbook air and macbook pro. currently i'm only using macbook pro, and the inbuilt supedrive seems to have developed some fault, in the sense it keeps rejecting the discs i put into them (and trust me, they're all original. It even rejected the system set up disks !!!). Well, so i thought about using the external superdrive that i'd purchased with the macbook air but even that is not accepting the discs. I mean they're not going in at all.

Can anyone help? Does macbook pro (the latest model) not support external superdrives?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    First, the MacBook Air Superdrive only works with the MacBook Air. See the Apple description of the drive and read the reviews. LINK One reason why most agree that it's not worth purchasing.

Second, try cleaning the drive in your MBP. Cleaning kits are readily available at most stores which sell computers and accessories. If cleaning the drive doesn't work, then you'll probably have to replace it. Is your MBP still under warranty?

Regards.

Thats weird cause when i called the customer care, they wernt sure whether the external superdrive worked with MBP or not. If its that definitive, they shud've known.

Anyways, thanks for the tip. Will try the cleaning kit and if that doesnt work, yes my MBP is still under warranty.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by vishal1982 View Post
    Thats weird cause when i called the customer care, they wernt sure whether the external superdrive worked with MBP or not. If its that definitive, they shud've known.
    I don't think that this would be the first or last time someone got incorrect info from any manufacturers or stores customer service folks.

I do agree...this is a pretty definitive situation...and the customer service folks should know this! Of course (according to your post)...they did say they weren't sure...which is a heck of a lot better than telling you the external MBA drive would work with a MBP.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Yes, just to reemphasize, they did mention that they were not sure and that i'd have to try a couple of things to see if it'll work or not .... and quite an optimist there Mr. pigoo3 for extracting a worse outcome out of an already a bad situation !!!

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    This is from apple regarding the MB Air Superdrive.

System Requirements
    MacBook Air computer

Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

Specs:
    .... and quite an optimist there Mr. pigoo3 for extracting a worse outcome out of an already a bad situation !!!
    Some folks consider their current situation to be really really terrible...and they never really consider that things could be much much worse! That's why sometimes I like to stop & think "optimistically"...yes this situation could be worse!

So having a problem where an external MacBook Air optical drive won't work with a MacBook Pro (because they're incompatible)...and getting questionable info from customer service folks...really isn't that bad! All of the hardware is 100% fully operational...it's not like anything is broken!

Also...if you thought that the info you got from customer service was questionable you could have done two things straight away:

- post a specific question here at Mac-Forums...such as, "Is an external MBA optical drive compatible with a MBP?"
    - you could have "Googled" your question...and probably gotten an answer in about 2 milliseconds!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

lol ... right ... i guess did practically put up the question as u've suggested but in a slightly different light, thus this thread !!! ... "Can anyone help? Does macbook pro (the latest model) not support external superdrives?"

and you're absolutely right abt the part where all of the hardware is 100% functional

i usually dont rely on the customer care info but apple's one of the few ones that i actually do trust ...

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    He was given the answer and even a link to verify it. And our moderator also gave him an Apple link to verify what he was already told here. I don't know who he spoke with at customer care, but if had spoken with a technician at support they would have give him the correct answer.

Regards.

Specs:
    ... "Can anyone help? Does macbook pro (the latest model) not support external superdrives?"
    Sure...the MacBook Pro is DEFINITELY compatible with external optical drives...just not the MBA external drive.

Just about any of these should do the trick:

SuperDrive DVD, DVD Dual-Layer, CD-R/RW, Blu-Ray Optical Drive Solutions FireWire, USB2, eSATA

Hope this helps,

- Nick

@chscag: yup, got my answer ... thanx

@pigoo3: now this is what i call really helpful info without even looking for it !!! thanx, this'll help ... guess i'm gonna get one tomm itself !!!

Specs:
    @chscag: yup, got my answer ... thanx

@pigoo3: now this is what i call really helpful info without even looking for it !!! thanx, this'll help ... guess i'm gonna get one tomm itself !!!
    Awesome! The folks at OWC (the link above) are really really good.

- Good prices
    - Good return policy
    - Fast Shipping
    - And normally good/great customer service (but most likely prone to the occasional error like your previous customer service experience)!

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I don't think that this would be the first or last time someone got incorrect info from any manufacturers or stores customer service folks.

I do agree...this is a pretty definitive situation...and the customer service folks should know this! Of course (according to your post)...they did say they weren't sure...which is a heck of a lot better than telling you the external MBA drive would work with a MBP.

- Nick
    Nah I've worked customer service and sales or whatnot and I hate it when people just say "I don't know." without trying to find the answer, thats either lazyness or apathy, both of which is unacceptable in customer service in my opinion. I don't let people off the hook for not trying.

Thread Information