Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Keystrokes to replace mouse clicks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/189400-keystrokes-replace-mouse-clicks.html)

agarff 02-02-2010 07:32 AM

Keystrokes to replace mouse clicks
 
I have a goal to complete stop using my mouse. In Firefox there is a great feature that allows you to find and follow a link by hitting the ' key, typing in the text of the link you want and then hitting enter.

Is there a key stroke that simulates a mouse click on a found highlighted set of text? That way I can use the find feature in any program to do what the ' key does in Firefox.

bluefox9er 02-02-2010 09:41 AM

wouldn't life be just easier if you used a mouse and then clicked?

agarff 02-02-2010 10:02 AM

Maybe easier but not faster... next time you are paying for something or checking into a hotel, notice how much faster the process is when the person serving you is using a system that only allows key strokes. While the mouse was a great and necessary technological achievement it is making us all lazy, dumb and slow.

technologist 02-02-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agarff (Post 992246)
Maybe easier but not faster... next time you are paying for something or checking into a hotel, notice how much faster the process is when the person serving you is using a system that only allows key strokes. While the mouse was a great and necessary technological achievement it is making us all lazy, dumb and slow.

You do realize that that person does nothing but book hotel rooms all day? And that that system does nothing but book hotel rooms? Of course it's fast; it's very limited.

I'd suggest you focus on finding the right tool for the task. Unless your job is booking hotel rooms....

agarff 02-02-2010 10:31 AM

It is only fast when they don't use a mouse....

wirelessmacuser 02-02-2010 01:21 PM

Shortcut keys are blazing fast. Using a mouse doesn't require any skills or thinking. Painfully slow as well.

VegasGeorge 02-02-2010 01:25 PM

Well, since no one who has commented has suggested any mouse click shortcuts, and since I don't know of any, I presume there aren't any.

wirelessmacuser 02-02-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasGeorge (Post 992360)
Well, since no one who has commented has suggested any mouse click shortcuts, and since I don't know of any, I presume there aren't any.

You are correct. The mouse is for regular users, and it has its purpose, ease of use. That said, power users that require speed and accuracy use keyboad shortcuts for 99% of all commands.

MYmacROX 02-02-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by technologist (Post 992265)
You do realize that that person does nothing but book hotel rooms all day? And that that system does nothing but book hotel rooms? Of course it's fast; it's very limited.

I'd suggest you focus on finding the right tool for the task. Unless your job is booking hotel rooms....

Exactly!
I used to work for a retailer and everything we needed to do required an F key for screen-to-screen navigation and Tab to move through the fields.
What you see at the store or at the hotel is not your typical computer user experience. Those people are not browsing websites or clicking on links.

Sorry to burst your bubble. However, you can use your mouse minimally.
There are LOTS of things you can do with the keyboard, including moving through the menus at the top of your screen (File, Edit, View, etc. etc.).

toMACsh 02-02-2010 01:45 PM

Get a MacBook and use the trackpad. Now there's a time-saver! ;)

Aqua 02-02-2010 02:32 PM

Although I'm not sure what you're talking of, I just use the find feature (in ff) tabbing through? macros or scripts.. Is this sort of what you are looking for? Download Xlib - mouseClick - Xlib mouseClick - simulates mouse click - Softpedia. Sorry but it's for PC but if you do a search you might find similar or better for mac
Quote:

Originally Posted by agarff (Post 992196)
I have a goal to complete stop using my mouse. In Firefox there is a great feature that allows you to find and follow a link by hitting the ' key, typing in the text of the link you want and then hitting enter.

Is there a key stroke that simulates a mouse click on a found highlighted set of text? That way I can use the find feature in any program to do what the ' key does in Firefox.


Aqua 02-02-2010 02:37 PM

maybe this? RFS: keynav - msg#03420 - general but I'm not sure what platform it's for, probably PC or something not mac... But it more than likely is out there..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.