New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

external hard drive-macbook & pc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

preklbt

preklbt is on a distinguished road

Just got a macbook pro, will take me some time to learn my way around. we have a pc, that is hardwired to the router & the external hard drive (where all my pics & documents are), had no problem w/the macbook & the internet, found that w/out a hitch.

how do I get the macbook to see & be able to use, save, etc the files on the external hard drive.

Thanks so much!
Tami
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Daddy

Mac_Daddy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP w/4GB of Ram

As long as all of the computers are on the same subnet (192.168.1.X), and the directories on the external HD are set up to be to shared (via Windows I assume), then all you have to do is enter the IP address of the PC that the HD is attached to in a browser window and you should be able to see the shared folders.

I know that you have to go to system prefs, sharing and choose share files and folders using SMB (Windows) on the Mac if you want to share the other way but it won't hurt to set it up just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
Gary86

Gary86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2010 13" MBP; Late 2010 13" MBA

On my EX HD on windows I had a folder set as 'hidden' and I tried to find a way to make it un-hidden from the MAC and couldn't figure out how. So I had to do it from my PC. Can you make things as hidden on MAC like PC?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't use iSync with Moto Cliq | switcher but still needs some windows apps »