New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Switcher

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

underwhelmed

underwhelmed is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook | 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo | 160GB Intel X25-M | 4GB DDR3

I finally gave into that money burning a hole in my pocket and bought a Macbook (on sale without a rebate for $799). Here's to learning a new OS and, more importantly, learning new programming languages. After getting used to it, I'll be installing Win7 with Bootcamp so I still have access to Visual Studio.

So far, running all the updates has been about the same - but that's expected. I am looking at an SSD, memory upgrade to 4GB, a travel case and Speck satin case for it. I'll probably stick with an OCZ or Intel for the SSD.

Thought I would stop in and say hello
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

!Hola...welcome to mac-forums

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Howdy! Don't forget your other responsibilities...
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Glad you made it here!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Welcome and enjoy . you didnt mention that new ex-hdd that you are using to back-up that new machine of yours......

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Congrats. Welcome!
QUOTE Thanks
underwhelmed

Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook | 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo | 160GB Intel X25-M | 4GB DDR3

Thanks guys

Well, I splurged and got the memory and a shiny new Intel X25-M 160GB SSD - and I still up installing Win7 =)

I will be backing up the machine using a WHS so I'll probably use the script described here: Update: Time Machine Backup to Windows Home Server

I'm still looking at covers, but it looks like the Speck Satin covers haven't come out yet, so I'll probably just wait for them.

So far, so good - just learning how to navigate and use the mouse is way different. I'm so used to the right click and CTRL-right click and the keyboard placement for keys is off too.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
So far, so good - just learning how to navigate and use the mouse is way different. I'm so used to the right click and CTRL-right click and the keyboard placement for keys is off too.
you can use your old usb mouse if you want to retain the right click.

Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Have you tried using mouse gestures for Right Click? Two finger Tap can do right click. Might be easier for you then the CTRL-Click.
QUOTE Thanks
underwhelmed

@droflex - I am still working out the bugs on using a Microsoft Bluetooth 5000 in win 7 (it works great in OS-X

@dtravix7 - I am still getting used to the gestures, I am trying to stick with the pad, but it's just taking time. After being at a computer for close to 8 hours a day for the last 10 years, it's a tough transition =)
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post

@dtravix7 - I am still getting used to the gestures, I am trying to stick with the pad, but it's just taking time. After being at a computer for close to 8 hours a day for the last 10 years, it's a tough transition =)
Go ahead and use your mouse alongside your trackpad. You'll begin to naturally gravitate towards one or the other for specific tasks and the issue will sort itself out. I'm finding I like the mouse for programming/writing but the trackpad, once I adapted to it, is really great for most everything else.

www.dynostep.com
engine simulation software
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« switcher but still needs some windows apps | Free, simple video-editing software? »