Thread: Upgrading HDD

Upgrading HDD
    Hello :-)
    officially in a week or 2 i will be the proud new owner of a mac [my first ever] have a question about upgrading the HDD.
    im gonna buy the base model 13" mbp, and have apple upgrade the 2g memory to a 4g
    however ill be upgrading the HDD myself and was wondering a few things

1. i want a 500g HDD, but not sure which brand/type to buy and would like some personal opinions

2. i will be using the computer for LITE graphic arts/photography so should i go with a 7200 rpm or a 5400 rpm hdd [will the higher rpm noticable decrease battery life??]

3. before i install the HDD what should i do? [i.e. back up the computer on an external harddrive]

4. and after the HDD installation what should i do? [idk if their will be anything special to do or not]

hehe im trying to make sure i get everything right and ready before hand

thank you

-babyt
    aye bay bay

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Why not just get an external HDD?
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by babyt View Post
    Hello :-)
    officially in a week or 2 i will be the proud new owner of a mac [my first ever] have a question about upgrading the HDD.
    im gonna buy the base model 13" mbp, and have apple upgrade the 2g memory to a 4g
    however ill be upgrading the HDD myself and was wondering a few things

1. i want a 500g HDD, but not sure which brand/type to buy and would like some personal opinions
    Welcome and congrats!

I have been REALLY impressed with the Samsung drive I put into my BlackBook. This computer is on around 18 hours/day average, drive never slept. Steady, reliable, fast little performer.

2. i will be using the computer for LITE graphic arts/photography so should i go with a 7200 rpm or a 5400 rpm hdd [will the higher rpm noticable decrease battery life??]
    No, a 5400 should be fine, and yes faster drives do decrease battery life slightly.

3. before i install the HDD what should i do? [i.e. back up the computer on an external harddrive]
    That's pretty much it. Use Time Machine or a clone program, whichever you prefer. Install the new drive. Use your bootable backup or your system DVD to format the drive to Mac OS X Extended Journaled (yes you want journaled for a bootable drive), then restore from your backup by whichever method you like.

4. and after the HDD installation what should i do? [idk if their will be anything special to do or not]
    DO run Software Update.
    DO run Permissions repair from Disk Utility.
    DON'T overthink this, it's all a bit time-consuming but easy.
    DON'T install any anti-virus (et al) type programs. You're on a Mac now. You're safe.
    DO have fun!

Enjoy!

thanks for the reply
    but could you go into detail with #3 a little better
    im brand new to mac [cept having an iphone]

and i dont want to carry the external with me everywhere i go :-)
    aye bay bay

Thread Information