New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

The Mac We Really Need


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
VegasGeorge

 
VegasGeorge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 23, 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 893
VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

VegasGeorge is offline
I'm posting this here because we don't have a General Mac Forum, and Switcher Hangout is the closest thing to it.

The recent intro of the iPad got me thinking. It falls short in a number of ways. So, why not describe exactly what I want? After all, maybe someone at Apple will actually read this and act on it. So, here it is Apple, my dream Mac:

It's netbook size, about 10 inches. Any smaller and it would be too hared to see and use. I want the screen area, and a full size keyboard.

It has a touch sensitive screen that folds all the way back so it can be used either in laptop configuration or as a pad.

Folded as a pad, it has all the touch sensitive functions as the iPad.

In laptop configuration it is a Macbook or Macbook Pro, with all the computing and graphics power, ports, devices, etc.

It includes a phone which operates either by keyboard or touch when in the laptop or pad configuration, or by bluetooth headset while the lid is closed and the computer is asleep or off.

It has all the latest tech in it like motion sensor, gps, high res still/video camera, n wifi, 4G, and USB3.

It is sold "open" so that owners can choose their own cell carrier for the phone/internet service.

OK, Apple, I know you guys could do this if you wanted to. I'd be willing to pay a nice price for such a good piece of hardware. I know that millions of others would too. So how about it? Why don't you give us what we want?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
So long as we're wishing for totally impractical, I'd like a Mac that bakes cookies for me, runs on solar power, and costs less than a dollar.

I know they could do this if they wanted to, because Apple isn't subject to the laws of thermodynamics or economics, right? They're Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

 
VegasGeorge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 23, 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 893
VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

VegasGeorge is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
So long as we're wishing for totally impractical, I'd like a Mac that bakes cookies for me, runs on solar power, and costs less than a dollar.

I know they could do this if they wanted to, because Apple isn't subject to the laws of thermodynamics or economics, right? They're Apple!
Hey, that's not true at all. I didn't mention any technology that isn't already available in other units, with the exception of USB3 which isn't quite out yet. The problem is that Apple, and the others simply won't put it all together in one machine. I think its greed. They want us to have to buy and carry multiple gadgets; a phone, a computer, an iPad, an iPod, etc. There is no technical or other reason the functions couldn't be combined in one unit.

I defy you to cite just one valid technical reason that would prevent the production of a unit such as I described.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr. Drums

 
Member Since: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 89
Mr. Drums has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mr. Drums is offline
Because we like our gadgets. The more the better, especially if they have lots oflights on them. That's a valid reason.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

 
VegasGeorge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 23, 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 893
VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

VegasGeorge is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drums View Post
Because we like our gadgets. The more the better, especially if they have lots oflights on them. That's a valid reason.
Well, OK, that I accept. We do like our gadgets!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,115
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
Hey, that's not true at all. I didn't mention any technology that isn't already available in other units, with the exception of USB3 which isn't quite out yet. The problem is that Apple, and the others simply won't put it all together in one machine.
Yes, they're all in on the conspiracy to deprive you of this device.

But seriously, the reason such a thing isn't out is the same reason we may now never see Microsoft's Courier: because something like that would cost WAY more than a laptop, and consequently nobody would buy it.

Let's look at this device of yours again:

Quote:
It's netbook size, about 10 inches. I want the screen area, and a full size keyboard.
A full size-keyboard is longer than 10 inches. It's 11 inches (on a laptop) and 17 inches once you add in the number pad. So that's never going to work. You have, at best, a very long tablet there -- that plus the other stuff you want is going to add VERY significantly to the weight as well.

Quote:
It has a touch sensitive screen that folds all the way back so it can be used either in laptop configuration or as a pad.
The screen itself CANNOT fold, I presume you mean a hinge. Yeah, that'll never lose its tension ...

Quote:
Folded as a pad, it has all the touch sensitive functions as the iPad.

In laptop configuration it is a Macbook or Macbook Pro, with all the computing and graphics power, ports, devices, etc.
So what you want is a Axiotron ModBook. Check out the price and weight though. And whether its been a hit.

Quote:
It has all the latest tech in it like motion sensor, gps, high res still/video camera, n wifi, 4G, and USB3.
Cuz none of that stuff adds to the cost ...

Quote:
It is sold "open" so that owners can choose their own cell carrier for the phone/internet service.
On this specific point, it should be noted that the iPad is in fact "unlocked" -- there is NOTHING stopping other carriers from offering Micro-SIMs and their own paygo 3G data plans.

Quote:
I know that millions of others would too.
This is right up there with "the cheque is in the mail." Cite your research, please?

Quote:
So how about it? Why don't you give us what I want?
There, fixed that for you.

If you can show research that shows a really large (seriously, huge) market for such a device, and how to build it at an iPad-like price, it would be pretty easy to talk Apple into it.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

 
CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2008
Posts: 6,006
CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

CrimsonRequiem is offline
I just want an official Tablet PC from Mac.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,115
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I just want an official Tablet PC from Mac.
Given how big a hit the Tablet PC was, my guess is "keep dreaming," at least for a few years yet.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

 
VegasGeorge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 23, 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 893
VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

VegasGeorge is offline
I guess my motivation here (and it's a BIG one) is that Apple didn't include a phone in the iPad. So if I want to be fully connected I have to carry a phone and and an iPad, or a phone and a laptop with me. I need 3G service for both. That's a whole lot of unnecessary expense, both for equipment and service. And, that's a whole lot more (twice as much) to lug around with me. So much of it is redundant.

A minor gripe is that the iPad lacks many of the features of a full fledged Macbook, but I could live with that.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,115
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
I guess my motivation here (and it's a BIG one) is that Apple didn't include a phone in the iPad. So if I want to be fully connected I have to carry a phone and and an iPad, or a phone and a laptop with me.
Yes. But you're already carrying two heavier devices right now if you want to be "fully connected."

Chances are QUITE high that someone like Skype is going to plug the "perceived" gap in the iPads inability to be a phone, so I don't think this is as big a deal as people make out. My TV isn't a phone either, making me actually go into *another room* to answer it! How inconvenient! What the heck is wrong with those TV makers?!

Quote:
I need 3G service for both.
a. No, you don't "need" 3G for both. You *need* Wifi for the iPad. You only "need" 3G for the iPad if you're trying to make it replace your iPhone.

b. The iPad has a USB port option, you can plug your "go stick" into that.

c. I've not seen anything that says that if you have a 3G plan for your phone it would be impossible to use it with the iPad.

Quote:
And, that's a whole lot more (twice as much) to lug around with me.
And yet you are already -- right now -- lugging MORE than that around. To be "connected" as you describe, you MUST presently be carrying around a full-blown laptop AND a smartphone.

Quote:
A minor gripe is that the iPad lacks many of the features of a full fledged Macbook, but I could live with that.
It is not intended, in any meaningful way, to replace a laptop. This is the thing people seem to have a mental block about.

It is intended to redefine what a full-blown laptop is to be used for. This new class of device is going to change what you DO with a computer, and what you now no longer need "a full-blown computer" to do.

In much the same way laptops changed what we used desktops for, and smartphones changed what we used laptops for.

You might find these two essays able to move you into a new way of looking at this:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1460...ure_shock.html
http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/35922...uters-ive-been
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

 
ZorroAMG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2005
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 522
ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

ZorroAMG is offline
netbooks don't do anything well, why would apple want to make one?

I think the 2nd gen iPad will be GREAT, I have a MBP a 3GS and an iMac and I can't see myself buying the iPad let alone a silly netbook.

Let's let apple's R&D team do their thing, you stick to vegasgeorging, k?



PS you would look rather silly holding the iPad up to your face to make calls....or equally silly with a bluetooth headset everywhere you go...unless you are robocop or a car salesman - phones are supposed to get MORE portable as tech progresses.

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
I defy you to cite just one valid technical reason that would prevent the production of a unit such as I described.
Sorry, but you just asked for "all the computing and graphics power" in a "netbook size" machine.

Even with infinite funds, that technology just does not exist. Netbooks use low-power CPUs that are far slower than the slowest MacBook Air. Putting a MacBook Air's CPU into a 10-inch-screen laptop would make it about two inches thick with all the space that the cooling and battery would require. With all the ports and graphics you're talking about, it would probably be at least three inches thick, and would still probably have pretty lousy battery life and be hot to the touch.

So, if you were asking for a laptop the shape of a Kleenex box....
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

 
Member Since: Nov 09, 2009
Posts: 148
bluefox9er can only hope to improve

bluefox9er is offline
as someone very new to apple and their products, I get the very distinct feeling that it will be avery cold day before apple allows for 'open' anything. I get the every distinct feeling that even though you buy media from itunes, it is really apple that owns it.

The ipad is going to be great for folks who need an entertainment centre, but for me, my needs are geared around productivity.

Engineering the 'perfect' apple computer won't happen because of 2 main reasons.
1. apple want to give you what they want *you* to have, not what you *want* to have
2. Steve Wozniak no longer designs computers for apple.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,115
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post
as someone very new to apple and their products, I get the very distinct feeling that it will be avery cold day before apple allows for 'open' anything.
What an odd thing to say. Just a few examples:
a. OS X itself is built on UNIX. It doesn't get any more open than that
b. AAC is an open standard
c. Webkit is an open standard

There are literally hundreds more examples of places where Apple has not only used "open source" stuff but contributed BACK to the community. They may not be as "open" as Linux, but they are WAY more "open" than Microsoft.

Quote:
I get the every distinct feeling that even though you buy media from itunes, it is really apple that owns it.
This is why "feelings" should not be substituted for "facts." The fact of the matter is that this isn't true.
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

 
Member Since: Nov 09, 2009
Posts: 148
bluefox9er can only hope to improve

bluefox9er is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
What an odd thing to say. Just a few examples:
a. OS X itself is built on UNIX. It doesn't get any more open than that
b. AAC is an open standard
c. Webkit is an open standard

There are literally hundreds more examples of places where Apple has not only used "open source" stuff but contributed BACK to the community. They may not be as "open" as Linux, but they are WAY more "open" than Microsoft.



This is why "feelings" should not be substituted for "facts." The fact of the matter is that this isn't true.
perhaps you could advise me in the future how i can donate my ebook that i might buy for an ipad from ibook store to a library or perhaps loan it to a friend once I have finished reading it..or loan a friend a movie i purchase from itunes?

so what if the OS is written on unix? that dosn't mean a darn thing except that it's written on unix!

itunes is designed for you NOT to transfer your content to anyone except YOU.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« iPod Nano Video | Upgrading HDD »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Has The Mac Been Hacked...... MaDDoG Apple Rumors and Reports 5 05-01-2007 07:06 PM
Switcher Article in Today's Times studio34 Switcher Hangout 9 08-11-2006 03:10 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?