New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buying a book, opinions please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tbone

Tbone is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'm currently a PC user and my last laptop just died. I've decided to switch to Mac and am going to pick up a book today. Either 'switching to mac' or 'macbook for dummies'. Assuming I can find both at the local chapters store, which would be better?(if anyone has read both)

Probably heading out in an hour to see what they've got in stock....
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

to be honest I wouldn't get either, just use the computer and you probably will be able to work out what you need and/or find it online ...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you want one book, grab David Pogue's 'The Missing Manual'.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
wirelessmacuser

wirelessmacuser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"

I have two of David's books I'm considering and wish to buy just one:
1) Switching to the Mac: Snow Leopard
2) The Missing Manual Snow Leopard
For a switcher, which one do you suggest please.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jenyf

jenyf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8GHz iMac / MBP 2.26GHz / Nano

I switched to the Mac a year ago. I have been using Pogue's 'Missing Manual: Mac OS X Leopard' book. I looked at the Switching to Mac book, but chose this one. I've been able to hit the road running with my switch. The Snow Leopard version is his latest, of course. I upgraded to Snow Leopard, but didn't need the manual by that time.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

These days there's no point in buying computer books. For 99% of your problems you can type your question into Google (verbatim) and you'll be able to find the answer.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If you want one book, grab David Pogue's 'The Missing Manual'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessmacuser View Post
I
2) The Missing Manual Snow Leopard
+1 on the Missing Manual ..
Has been invaluable to me having switched just before the SL upgrade ...

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
wirelessmacuser

wirelessmacuser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
These days there's no point in buying computer books. For 99% of your problems you can type your question into Google (verbatim) and you'll be able to find the answer.
While its true that one can find anything online. There are many of us that enjoy a break from reading on the computer. Also its nice to sit out in the sun, here in California, and read a book while enjoying a beverage poolside.
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

Tbone is on a distinguished road

I went out and picked up the Switching to Mac, Snow Leopard book. I haven't picked up my MBP yet, waiting for the rumored update coming soon. In the meantime I figure reading this book along with surfing the internet will have me well prepared for a smooth transition.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Congrats!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Unless your problem centers around your inability to get online ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I only wish... | OOps »